Knife from Cloudcroft New Mexico?

Glenn54

Gold Member
I'm hoping someone may have some information on the maker of this knife from Cloudcroft NM. I purchased it at the local hardware store there and don't recall getting a box or papers with it. I'm just curious if anyone may have some info on this knife maker. It looks like someone carved the initials NP on the sheath.
Knife from Cloudcroft.jpgCloudcroft knife 3.jpg

Well that is disappointing. I wonder if the local hardware store was involved in this fraud. I only paid 70 or 80 dollars so didn't lose too much.

Well that is disappointing. I wonder if the local hardware store was involved in this fraud. I only paid 70 or 80 dollars so didn't lose too much.
It's not a fraud unless they misrepresent the facts. (Don't know if they did or not. I understand there may be an implication of a local artist having something to do with the knife. Been a long time since I rode through Cloudcroft on a motorcycle trip in 1997.)

I would have to assume that the shop knew where the knives came from. And they wouldn't be the first to take advantage of someone visiting the area. (Unfortunately...assuming that's the case.)

Ok, that was a smaller "hit". Many times people get caught for 2x - 3x that. Hardware store may or may not have known. A lot of hustlers will wander into hardware stores, antique stores, etc... claiming to be hobby makers, etc.... looking for a dealer, and scam them too.

Last edited:
It's not a fraud unless they misrepresent the facts. (Don't know if they did or not. I understand there may be an implication of a local artist having something to do with the knife. Been a long time since I rode through Cloudcroft on a motorcycle trip in 1997.)

I would have to assume that the shop knew where the knives came from. And they wouldn't be the first to take advantage of someone visiting the area. (Unfortunately...assuming that's the case.)
I bet that was a great motorcycle ride. Not able to ride any longer but used to love riding motorcycles. We love the Cloudcroft area.

Ok, that was a smaller "hit". Many times people get caught for 2x - 3x that. Hardware store may or may not have known. A lot of hustlers will wander into hardware stores, antique stores, etc... claiming to be hobby makers, etc.... looking for a dealer, and scam them too.
I imagine something like this happened. I need to be more aware of this type of scam. Thanks all for the info.

Well ! ~ It's a nice looking knife and can be always be tossed into the collection ~ đź‘Ť

Beauty, quality and value don’t have to be synonymous…..if you can admire it for its beauty alone it has a certain value.

Beauty, quality and value don’t have to be synonymous…..if you can admire it for its beauty alone it has a certain value.
On the other hand, nobody really wants to visit the Apache reservation and be sold (implied) "authentic" Native American goods which are actually imported from Pakistan. (Otherwise I agree with your point.)

To be clear, the fact that a knife is from Pakistan, or India, or China, doesn't automatically mean it's junk. Many are, and some are not.
Just ask yourself, what do the folks in Pakistan use, knifewise? Benchmades? Spyderco?
I bet you it's mostly stuff they have there, and so, if it cuts, however poorly then...
To a lot of the world, a knife is either a weapon or a tool, they don't have love/hoarder relationship with it

Just ask yourself, what do the folks in Pakistan use, knifewise? Benchmades? Spyderco?
I bet you it's mostly stuff they have there, and so, if it cuts, however poorly then...
To a lot of the world, a knife is either a weapon or a tool, they don't have love/hoarder relationship with it
I don't think that's the original point which was being made here in this thread.

It's unlikely that the knives you are referencing are represented as anything other than what they are.

On the other hand, the knife purchased at the heart of this thread was of unknown provenance, and one (who didn't know better) might reasonably have thought there was some connection to Cloudcroft.

The fact that it's from Pakistan, (assuming that''s the case), doesn't change whether it's a worthy piece of kit or not.

We as knife enthusiasts, users, and collectors, like to know what we are buying...rather than simply a pig in a poke.

I don't think that's the original point which was being made here in this thread.

It's unlikely that the knives you are referencing are represented as anything other than what they are.

On the other hand, the knife purchased at the heart of this thread was of unknown provenance, and one (who didn't know better) might reasonably have thought there was some connection to Cloudcroft.

The fact that it's from Pakistan, (assuming that''s the case), doesn't change whether it's a worthy piece of kit or not.

We as knife enthusiasts, users, and collectors, like to know what we are buying...rather than simply a pig in a poke.
Thanks for the clarification

Thanks all for your input. When I purchased the knife at the hardware store in Cloudcroft, I was told the knife was made by a local guy. I don't have enough experience to say if the knife is made with quality material and workmanship. There's a local guy that I can ask though. Either way, it's worth keeping and using.

Back