Recommendation? Knife Management

CujiWuji

Gold Member
I just moved into a new house and have been thinking about knife management in the kitchen. I kept most of my nice knives out of the way at my last place because I had a roommate and knew they weren't in the habit of taking care of their kitchen cutlery. Now that I am in a new house I want to not only have easier access to my knives but also have a way to display them.

What do you all use for kitchen knife management? Would you suggest a block, or something more like a magnetic strip for the wall? And do those work alright even with a big cleaver?

A strip may be better with a cleaver. Many blocks don't have a slot for them. Harbor Freight has cheap ones for $5 if you want to test the concept. I have see old Chicago Culery carvers and slicers not stick well due to the grind on them. Carbon steel blades stick best in general.

The hazard with strips is if you let the blade get drawn in edge first. Get one that is covered to mitigate that.

Depends wall space available vs counter space as well.

I have a really good looking magnetic strip with a wood facade (Zebrawood, I think) for my kitchen knives. The magnets are “rare earth magnets” which are apparently “better” than normal magnets. It works great and frees up the limited counter space I have in my current kitchen and looks A LOT better than my old block. I found it on Etsy—if you’re interested I can send you pics and the seller I got it from.

I have a really good looking magnetic strip with a wood facade (Zebrawood, I think) for my kitchen knives. The magnets are “rare earth magnets” which are apparently “better” than normal magnets. It works great and frees up the limited counter space I have in my current kitchen and looks A LOT better than my old block. I found it on Etsy—if you’re interested I can send you pics and the seller I got it from.
I would not turn down a good recommendation!

Just checked: the shop's name is RandumAnticsLLC. I'll have to get back to you one the pic once I am home. I know he's got other exotic hardwoods if zebra wood isn't your thing. It's been a while, but I remember the guy was very accommodating which is a plus.

I have a drawer I keep the knives in, eight of them anyway. They are the big knives. I cut a 2 X 4 the width of the drawer and cut a series of cuts evenly on the 4" edge. Fastened the board into the drawer with screws from the outside of the drawer into the ends of the board. Been working well and safely for about 25 years. If you have an extra drawer you might consider the method for storing your knives.

X4

I have a drawer I keep the knives in, eight of them anyway. They are the big knives. I cut a 2 X 4 the width of the drawer and cut a series of cuts evenly on the 4" edge. Fastened the board into the drawer with screws from the outside of the drawer into the ends of the board. Been working well and safely for about 25 years. If you have an extra drawer you might consider the method for storing your knives.

X4
Actually after looking at my kitchen space the walls wouldnt have the room for all the knives so I may actually go this route! Was thinking I might do a slide out version.

Slide out would work if you can figure out how to do it. I'm trying how to envision it..

Slide out would work if you can figure out how to do it. I'm trying how to envision it..
Ive got a pretty short cupboard shelf, I'm thinking I can probably make a tray type thing and toss some of the sliding tracks on the side to pull it out

Spam links
Hey Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to check it out. Just looking at the links it seems like it would work really well. Have you tried it with any cleavers, or other taller knives? I've only got one but it would be nice to keep everything together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back