Lil, Ferox Pass Around

Ok gentleman, just took delivery of the Lil' Ferox. At first glance there isn't anything little about it which gives me to wondering what a fully fledged ferox must look and feel like. Tomorrow I'll start putting it through it's paces.

Last edited:
Nice Douglas. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I've only seen pics and specs of the full on Ferox, but being Recon+ size it has got to be one gnarly knife.

Even with the specs on the mini: 3/16" (.183") 01 Tool steel Tapered Tang, 8.32oz OAL 10" Blade 5 1/2"

The 'lil or mini designation is as deceiving as the person with this on their person.

I would like to participate. Been very interested in this design and the bigger Ferox, but prefer stainless. So a good opportunity to see what I think of the design first.
Attention!! Madcap magician PM me your physical address so I can send you the Lil' Ferox!!

No worries, we just wanted to make sure it got to you soon!

Looking forward to trying it out! I've been following your work for about a year and never thought I'd get the opportunity to try before I buy, as it were. Thanks for the opportunity to do so!

Hopefully we'll see some big knives like this one from you in the future, as well, though I know the small ones are the best sellers and the most profitable.

Sorry guys, I did see the notifications earlier, but I was on my phone at the time and it's hard to post from there.
Still can’t message you to give you tracking numbers. Suffice to say expect to take delivery tomorrow....heads up... Blade is coated with RenWax, in case you’re going to slice food! Have fun

Still can’t message you to give you tracking numbers. Suffice to say expect to take delivery tomorrow....heads up... Blade is coated with RenWax, in case you’re going to slice food! Have fun

Sorry, my Gold membership lapsed, so I can no longer receive PMs. You can leave messages on my profile if you like, otherwise I'll just expect to see it tomorrow. Thanks!

Just got this little beast today. I will not really be able to put it through its paces per se, but judging from the way it looks now, the prior users definitely did. Got a solid patina going and a lot of good, honest use marks.

I am really not sure how big the Ferox is compared to the mini. The Mini Ferox is a great size. It is a big knife, but highly ergonomic and doesn't really feel big. It's not bulky, and the tapered tang and well-contoured handle do a lot for the feel in hand. This is a fantastic knife. This is the only OKT knife I have held in person, but it is already my favorite, and my jealous eyes are only eyeballing a clip point and swedged Ranger as a possible contender. If there was one like this in CPM154 or S35VN available right now, I'd have bought it already, and the full-size one at USA Made Blade is now making me look very closely.

I didn't do much with it so far, but it did come out of the sheath and demand to be used, so I reduced the medium flat rate box it arrived in to very small pieces of cardboard.

The Mini Ferox cuts very well for that purpose. Not so much at this point for fine things like paper towels and paper, but I'm not sure when the edge was touched up last. It is a good sharpness for the uses a knife this size would see. It snap cuts very nicely.

I really love the handle and blade contours... this is a gorgeous design.

Hope to see this design show up on Thursdays sometime, Chris Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool .

EDIT: Chris, is the handle scaled down proportionately from the full-size Ferox, or is the blade just lopped off shorter?

Last edited:
Just got this little beast today. I will not really be able to put it through its paces per se, but judging from the way it looks now, the prior users definitely did. Got a solid patina going and a lot of good, honest use marks.

I am really not sure how big the Ferox is compared to the mini. The Mini Ferox is a great size. It is a big knife, but highly ergonomic and doesn't really feel big. It's not bulky, and the tapered tang and well-contoured handle do a lot for the feel in hand. This is a fantastic knife. This is the only OKT knife I have held in person, but it is already my favorite, and my jealous eyes are only eyeballing a clip point and swedged Ranger as a possible contender. If there was one like this in CPM154 or S35VN available right now, I'd have bought it already, and the full-size one at USA Made Blade is now making me look very closely.

I didn't do much with it so far, but it did come out of the sheath and demand to be used, so I reduced the medium flat rate box it arrived in to very small pieces of cardboard.

The Mini Ferox cuts very well for that purpose. Not so much at this point for fine things like paper towels and paper, but I'm not sure when the edge was touched up last. It is a good sharpness for the uses a knife this size would see. It snap cuts very nicely.

Hope to see this design show up on Thursdays sometime, Chris Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool .

EDIT: Chris, is the handle scaled down proportionately from the full-size Ferox, or is the blade just lopped off shorter?
Cutting through western juniper and that doing that severe battoning with live oak did leave it's marks. [See my instagram post] I did strop the blade on coarse hide and then smooth after I cleaned it but that's all.
glad it showed up so quick! have fun!
I will work on my lil Ferox review this weekend guys. I’ve had some trouble uploading photos from my phone. I’ll persist .

Last edited:
Cutting through western juniper and that doing that severe battoning with live oak did leave it's marks. [See my instagram post] I did strop the blade on coarse hide and then smooth after I cleaned it but that's all.
glad it showed up so quick! have fun!
I will work on my lil Ferox review this weekend guys. I’ve had some trouble uploading photos from my phone. I’ll persist .

Glad you put it through its paces! I don't have the opportunity to subject it to hard use, but it sure looks like it took it well!

I will check out your Instagram posts. I don't use social media other than forums myself, so I wasn't aware you had pictures up.

Last edited:

I’m glad you received it already, dont worry about not being able to put it through its paces there is no requirement on what to do with it other than stating your opinion and observations which you have done a good job already, I am glad to hear you like it as well! I am certain I will be making some more in the future probably around the end to beginning of the year. To answer you question the whole thing was scaled down handle and all, so yes the handle is shorter on this one.

If you think the edge needs a touch up before it goes to the next person send it back to me and I will freshen it up for the next person, I hope you have fun with it!

I’m glad you received it already, dont worry about not being able to put it through its paces there is no requirement on what to do with it other than stating your opinion and observations which you have done a good job already, I am glad to hear you like it as well! I am certain I will be making some more in the future probably around the end to beginning of the year. To answer you question the whole thing was scaled down handle and all, so yes the handle is shorter on this one.

If you think the edge needs a touch up before it goes to the next person send it back to me and I will freshen it up for the next person, I hope you have fun with it!

I think it has a good working edge. Varga49 stropped it, and I will only destroy a box or two. Or three. Depending on what I can find that wants to be chopped. I can't shave with it, but it cuts everything I want it to cut.

The handle is really great. I love this style. It flows naturally into a closer, choked-up grip for most work, but your hand easily slides back for some extra leverage around the pommel for chopping cuts. I have small hands and slender fingers, and it seems this is a hobby that attracts ham-fisted people, so it's always an open question as to whether larger knives will have disproportionately large handles for my grip. The Mini Ferox has plenty of handle, but for my hand, anyway, it gives two clear natural grip positions and seems proportionate. Like I said earlier, it does feel smaller than it is. I'd carry a knife this size IWB with no problems.

having a difficult time posting images from my phone..having to crop them dramatically and picture qualityis not as good as I want it. I'll keep trying!

Attachments

• B3F9DB01-71A9-4300-9E5F-5560FE4AB91A.jpeg
    B3F9DB01-71A9-4300-9E5F-5560FE4AB91A.jpeg
    467.6 KB · Views: 34
  • E746DDAC-9338-4D5D-88D7-A7C6AC3E30BF.jpeg
    E746DDAC-9338-4D5D-88D7-A7C6AC3E30BF.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 33
  • A41CEF4F-8518-4D20-A161-AEBA1BA9AFAC.jpeg
    A41CEF4F-8518-4D20-A161-AEBA1BA9AFAC.jpeg
    386.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 862CAFED-1F5F-412A-B4D6-A122BE4194BA.jpeg
    862CAFED-1F5F-412A-B4D6-A122BE4194BA.jpeg