Lost standoffs

Last week I was using my 4th gen skinner at work, and lost the bottom 2 standoffs. Apparently the torx screws backed out and I didn't notice until I got home. Is this common, and what's the best fix? Locktite?
I'm thinking of using this as an opportunity to upgrade to blue anodized hardware, and the knife could also use a sharpening. It looks like cost will be $67 for the hardware and $15 for the sharpening service?

Locktite is not recommended for the scale screws. Standoffs are sold in sets of three and are $25. Pivot screws are $20 but are not currently in stock. Handle screws are $22. you are correct about the sharpening.

Is it Common? No.
In all the years I've been carrying a Hinderer I never had it happen.
Checking your gear (any/all gear) periodically is part of the deal.....

Edge maintenance, Checking hardware and fasteners, cleaning/Lube, etc.

Like all fasteners, they need to be tightened and torqued properly (proper bolt stretch) in order to avoid them loosening. Thread lock is really only needed in a high vibration or parts shifting (e.g., pivot screw) environment and it is a bad idea to use it on the scale screws/standoff screws as it would make removal difficult.

Wow, I would flip out if that happened to me. Do you have any idea where they fell out at?

Heat gun makes thread locker simple to remove.

True, but not everyone wants to take a heat gun to their knife. I personally have used a soldering iron to apply direct heat to a fastener and avoid torching everything around it.

:)

Soldering iron is Definately a better solution for a small fastener and freeing up any thread locker ,
as for "lost" valuables.....
I've always found that a calm approach and a flashlight works best but I like pancakes too ;)

Last week I was using my 4th gen skinner at work, and lost the bottom 2 standoffs. Apparently the torx screws backed out and I didn't notice until I got home. Is this common, and what's the best fix? Locktite?
I'm thinking of using this as an opportunity to upgrade to blue anodized hardware, and the knife could also use a sharpening. It looks like cost will be $67 for the hardware and $15 for the sharpening service?

I just had this happen to the bottom screw on my wharnie. i bought a replacement standoff and scale side screw but can not find where to buy the piece that the screw screws into from other side. any idea where to get that?

I just had this happen to the bottom screw on my wharnie. i bought a replacement standoff and scale side screw but can not find where to buy the piece that the screw screws into from other side. any idea where to get that?

Best bet would be the ranch. I havent seen them offered anywhere else.

Your bf name is quite ironic.

I
Is it Common? No.
In all the years I've been carrying a Hinderer I never had it happen.
Checking your gear (any/all gear) periodically is part of the deal.....

Edge maintenance, Checking hardware and fasteners, cleaning/Lube, etc.
I clean, oil, and strop my XM18 at least once a week. I'm pretty disappointed to be honest, I've carried Benchmade, Spyderco ZT, and Kershaw, and I've never had hardware spontaneously back out like this. I'm curious why you would assume this is a maintenance issue on my end?

Last edited:
Locktite is not recommended for the scale screws. Standoffs are sold in sets of three and are $25. Pivot screws are $20 but are not currently in stock. Handle screws are $22. you are correct about the sharpening.

Bummer, that's more than I'm willing to spend at this point.

Best bet would be the ranch. I havent seen them offered anywhere else.

Your bf name is quite ironic.

haha yes it is, just realized that. I am going to email them and see if i can order one. it works fine with the missing screw for now. i just moved the middle screw down for now.

I don't have a lot to add. But I'll just say that the stickies mention what parts/pieces the Ranch can/will provide and those they won't.

I carry and use Hinderer folders near exclusively since 2011 and haven't had a body-screw back out nor a lost standoff occurance.

I
I clean, oil, and strop my XM18 at least once a week. I'm pretty disappointed to be honest, I've carried Benchmade, Spyderco ZT, and Kershaw, and I've never had hardware spontaneously back out like this. I'm curious why you would assume this is a maintenance issue on my end?

Let me see if I can answer that, I don't know you personally nor do I have any reference to knowlege of your particular "maintenance" habits.
I read a post that said, "I have lost two screws and stand-offs" because the screws "apparently" backed out,
Usually screws back out because they are - loose.
Usually part of routine maintenance is - tightening the screws.
Seeing as I have Never had this happen nor ever heard of it happening - I think it was a safe assupmtion based on the available info.
Question asked and answered - If you'd like to discuss it further.... send me a PM.

Let me see if I can answer that, I don't know you personally nor do I have any reference to knowlege of your particular "maintenance" habits.
I read a post that said, "I have lost two screws and stand-offs" because the screws "apparently" backed out,
Usually screws back out because they are - loose.
Usually part of routine maintenance is - tightening the screws.
Seeing as I have Never had this happen nor ever heard of it happening - I think it was a safe assupmtion based on the available info.
Question asked and answered - If you'd like to discuss it further.... send me a PM.
Theres no need to be condescending here. For those who are interested I sent a message to Rick Hinderer Knives, I'll update if/when I get a response.

Theres no need to be condescending here. For those who are interested I sent a message to Rick Hinderer Knives, I'll update if/when I get a response.

I am not being condescending, You asked Why I "assumed" this was a maintenance issue on your end and I answered you. Now - I will say this one more time.
IF you wish to discuss this - send me a PM.
The back and forth between you and me (in open forum) is over.

The only knife I use thread locker on the scale screws on are my BM Grips. Then mostly on the screws that hold the liners to the scales. They seem to want to loosen very quickly and are short so they fall out before you notice they are loose. I use it on all pivot screws except my Sebenza.

Update- Rick responded to my email and shipped me out the standoffs, screws, and nuts needed to fix the knife free of charge. Consider me a satisfied customer!

Back