Machete Destructive Comparison (Joe X **TRIGGER WARNING** šŸ˜)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scdub

Gold Member
Basic Member
Hey Kids!

Have you seen the latest from the mystery man? Pretty cool imho.

Iā€™ve been thinking about getting a CS Jungle Machete since I saw his initial test video (really like the profile/guard/weight) , so I was curious to see if he found anything that he liked better. After watching the video I know what Iā€™m getting for Xmas.

On to the show!!

Last edited:
Joe X "tests" are a tad random and excessive for me to take seriously as actual knife tests . šŸ¤Ø

But , if I'm in the right mood , I can sometimes appreciate the pure destructive entertainment value .

Had to laugh at some of this video , especially the vastly speeded parts; and when he used the bending force to launch machetes into the air . šŸ¤Ŗ

It's interesting to see how the knives fail - Their weaknesses !
He does aim to destroy the edged tool - That's the point . To see how when and where the blade fails .
There is very little chance of a knife actually passing ..

Of course Iā€™ve watched the video! Iā€™m a big JoeX fan, as I was a big Noss fan. Only after watching Joes videos I ā€œdiscoveredā€ machetes! Before that, I was obsessed with super thick expensive knives. I was miles away from thinking that something so thin could take so much abuse!!! Now, I have a few, thanks to Joe, my big knife/machete buying advisor.

Welp...if you wanna do Joe X kinda activities with your gear , then it makes good sense to use him as your guide . :rolleyes:

Otherwise , not so much .

The usefulness and functionality of any tool is rarely determined solely by indestructibility .

what surprised me is how many handles broke apart.....

The CS Jungle Machete is marketed as a survival machete - so Iā€™m personally glad to see that itā€™s extra tough. I was interested to note that the machetes Mr. X considered the best werenā€™t always the most durable ones he tested (although toughness clearly plays a role).

The CS Jungle Machete is marketed as a survival machete - so Iā€™m personally glad to see that itā€™s extra tough. I was interested to note that the machetes Mr. X considered the best werenā€™t always the most durable ones he tested (although toughness clearly plays a role).
I'm starting to fear that you're serious !?! o_O

I'm starting to fear that you're serious !?! o_O
Umm - yup!

About what exactly? Iā€™m essentially saying that I find value in a tough machete, but I agree with you 100% (as I believe Joe X does) that:

The usefulness and functionality of any tool is rarely determined solely by indestructibility .

:)

About what exactly
That Joe X is doing legitimate knife tests .

The stuff he does has approximately zero to do with any rational extreme hard utility or SD use ; or especially "survival " use .

Unless you're in full out demented panic mode or mentally compromised by stress , starvation , injury etc . , you are going to be VERY careful with gear that is vital to your survival efforts .

Certainly ,It's good to have gear that's as sturdy , reliable and foolproof as is practical... without sacrificing primary functions and reasonable cost !

So show me a practical test results for shock resistance or waterproofness , for example .

But make it quantified , measurable , repeatable and consistent . Eliminate subjective judgments and variables, as much as possible .

Do it exactly the same on everything tested , so that you can meaningfully compare different products .

I understand where youā€™re coming from. Many folks had the same issues with Noss back when he was destroying knives. I donā€™t think these tests are comprehensive, but they certainly are informative about the durability of different objects.
Certainly ,It's good to have gear that's as sturdy , reliable and foolproof as is practical... without sacrificing primary functions and reasonable cost !
Agreed. The Machete that came out on top of the tests is under $30, and the other folks that I have seen review it also seem to find that it works well - whatā€™s not to like?

Do it exactly the same on everything tested , so that you can meaningfully compare different products .
Iā€™d rather it was more consistent too. I watched the Cold Steel spine-whack tests with great interest as well, but I have to admit they werenā€™t half as entertaining.

Iā€™m happy with whatever destructive comparative knife testing I can get my hands on. I personally wish more manufacturers would actually test their products hard and post results.

The stuff he does has approximately zero to do with any rational extreme hard utility or SD use ; or especially "survival " use .

Unless you're in full out demented panic mode or mentally compromised by stress , starvation , injury etc . , you are going to be VERY careful with gear that is vital to your survival efforts .

So show me a practical test results for shock resistance or waterproofness , for example .

But make it quantified , measurable , repeatable and consistent . Eliminate subjective judgments and variables, as much as possible .

life ain't always "quantified, measurable, repeatable and consistent". this dude is doing these videos for entertainment and to earn cash from youtube.

Of course Iā€™ve watched the video! Iā€™m a big JoeX fan, as I was a big Noss fan. Only after watching Joes videos I ā€œdiscoveredā€ machetes! Before that, I was obsessed with super thick expensive knives. I was miles away from thinking that something so thin could take so much abuse!!! Now, I have a few, thanks to Joe, my big knife/machete buying advisor.
Soft steel is always gonna be tough... Cold Steel for example is made here in South Africa by Lashers tools. They are tough but no wear resistance or edge stability. Rolling and denting at lower edge angles will be unavoidable. Mild steel is also tough

Are they sensible tests,No! Are they mesurable or repeatable tests,No!
Do they reflect the quality or usefullness of the the knife,No!
Is it good to see, as user and maker, that cannot afford to destroy, a bunch of at times expensive knives, "how" a well made knife fails, Yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back