Magnacut Is In The House!!!

….well the Lab Rat post from Jerry seems to indicate that there will be a run of blades from the leftovers. At the moment that is this steel. There may then be others. I frankly don’t want a knife company making trinkets, make knives than. People will either buy them or not, seems people are buying them still. When they bring MC to the table I am sure it will be well done as they seem to do but K could also care less if they never do.
Yeah.. maybe trinkets are a bad take. I still think it'd be cool to get a couple cool knickknacks like a bottle opener, spatula, pen, or whatever.

I guess I just have no interest in carbon v anymore with the plethora of stuff that surpassed it since its inception. Not that most are ever gonna really do stuff crazy enough to break this stuff in the first place. Just saying.. who doesn't want the best out there.

I've thoroughly tested Larrin's new stuff out on many different fixed and folding knives and the stuff is legit almost a perfect knife steel.. finds a sweet spot between edge retention, toughness, and corrosion resistance. Plus it sharpens like a dream... stuff screams at lower angles and will take a lickin. Bet at more obtuse angles like we're used to it'd make a monster chopper too.

Guess I'm just a little impatient and want to see what Jerry and crew do with it. Especially want to see how well it could perform at around 60-62rc with the obtuse angles Busse likes to put on their knives. I bet it would be insane. Hell maybe even a thin slicey boi like another steak knife run at like 63-65.. bet it performs better than their elmax variant.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect Swamp Rat to move quickly on anything at this point. I do not believe this has ever been the case and it seems to be the case more than ever moving forward. Free Reign doesn't necessarily mean unlimited resources or shop time, though it may certainly mean free to experiment and make choices upon knife design, materials, etc.
Yeah.. stuff seemingly been at a crawl lately, or at least that my perception.

Probably just me being impatient. Time is always gonna be a constraint. Guess I just want to test their ht protocol on this stuff before my 1yr old gets to college lol.

Last edited:
There’s one “trinket” I would get behind, and that’s a letter opener modeled after the long Gladius.

Yeah.. stuff seemingly been at a crawl lately, or at least that my perception.

Probably just me being impatient. Time is always gonna be a constraint. Guess I just want to test their ht protocol on this stuff before my 1yr old gets to college lol.

Might want to pick up one of these if you want to scratch that testing itch... I just bought one of the last few.

Interesting to me personally because it's very corrosion and wear resistant without needing anything more than conventional Aluminum Oxide abrasives to cut the steel as is generally the case with high Vanadium content steels.

Yeah.. maybe trinkets are a bad take. I still think it'd be cool to get a couple cool knickknacks like a bottle opener, spatula, pen, or whatever.

I guess I just have no interest in carbon v anymore with the plethora of stuff that surpassed it since its inception. Not that most are ever gonna really do stuff crazy enough to break this stuff in the first place. Just saying.. who doesn't want the best out there.

I've thoroughly tested Larrin's new stuff out on many different fixed and folding knives and the stuff is legit almost a perfect knife steel.. finds a sweet spot between edge retention, toughness, and corrosion resistance. Plus it sharpens like a dream... stuff screams at lower angles and will take a lickin. Bet at more obtuse angles like we're used to it'd make a monster chopper too.

Guess I'm just a little impatient and want to see what Jerry and crew do with it. Especially want to see how well it could perform at around 60-62rc with the obtuse angles Busse likes to put on their knives. I bet it would be insane. Hell maybe even a thin slicey boi like another steak knife run at like 63-65.. bet it performs better than their elmax variant.
Check the busse website pop up shop.. they have TONS of crap

….well the Lab Rat post from Jerry seems to indicate that there will be a run of blades from the leftovers. At the moment that is this steel. There may then be others. I frankly don’t want a knife company making trinkets, make knives than. People will either buy them or not, seems people are buying them still. When they bring MC to the table I am sure it will be well done as they seem to do but K could also care less if they never do.
It's always fun to keep us kids happy with trinkets, I don't think they should be done in house and take production time away though i completly agree.. the Busse online shop looks Great it just doesn't get promoted enough on here...don't see many people posting any of the gear from there..

Might want to pick up one of these if you want to scratch that testing itch... I just bought one of the last few.

Interesting to me personally because it's very corrosion and wear resistant without needing anything more than conventional Aluminum Oxide abrasives to cut the steel as is generally the case with high Vanadium content steels.

I wasn't not aware they made one in this steel! I'll for sure grab one up!! Good lookin out

Last edited:
Check the busse website pop up shop.. they have TONS of crap
You talking about the shirt store? If not I've never even heard of their "pop up shop" I have a couple shirts and a coffee mug. I meant more along the line of something substantial like a pen, belt buckle, maybe an ammo can (this idea would be sick)

I wasn't not aware they made one in this steel! I'll for sure grab one up!! Good lookin out

I would also pick one up in SPY27 while you're at it, should be a great well rounded steel and if you haven't heard it's Spyderco's custom steel working with Crucible. Just keep in mind this one needs the Mule Team 2 Boltatron sheath if you're building one with the G-10 scales.

I would also pick one up in SPY27 while you're at it, should be a great well rounded steel and if you haven't heard it's Spyderco's custom steel working with Crucible. Just keep in mind this one needs the Mule Team 2 Boltatron sheath if you're building one with the G-10 scales.

This is the Swamp Rat forum. . . .

Please keep the topics on Swamp Rat and other Busse Kin blades.

Let's Drink! :thumbsup:

Jerry :)

This is the Swamp Rat forum. . . .

Please keep the topics on Swamp Rat and other Busse Kin blades.

Let's Drink! :thumbsup:

Jerry :)

Jerry,

I apologize but I didn't realize this was forbidden. I've seen plenty of threads and posts showing off other makers blades in your forums in the past and never seen a word mentioned about it being against the rules.

I mean there's 35 pages dedicated to everything NOT Busse related you can ever imagine in the cutlery world.

Maybe I missed something.... ???

On a side note, since we are talking about using other steels moving forward for Swamp Rat :

I might suggest trying something along the lines of what Spyderco has put together with the Mule Team concept, where a single knife pattern is chosen as the test bed for various steels and heat treat protocols. So we are comparing apples to apples, meaning you only see the differences in the steel as the knife itself is dimensionally identical in every way possible.

I know Swamp Rat does have the Lab Rat series which in concept was meant to be similar but in some ways seems to be the opposite from what we've seen for the first two models so far. The knife patterns are very similar but both use the same steel and heat treat apparently while differing in the blade pattern itself.

Rat-Mule-Du would be a great way to do it, use the same knife pattern that virtually everyone around here knows and loves! I mean people have been asking for many years for the Ratmandu to be run in different steels such as Elmax, Magnacut, etc.

When a thread is dedicated to discussing other brands of knives, then that is obviously the "topic" of conversation in that thread.

When you step into a thread where that is not the topic of conversation and start touting other brands of knives and attach internet links to those other brands, that is way off-topic and can easily be seen as high jacking a thread.

I wouldn't support any of our fans going over to the Spyderco forum and pumping our blades with links to our forum. In my opinion, it is in bad taste and borders on ill-mannered.

If you have any further comments, please leave them out of this thread, and feel free to call me or email me directly at jerry@bussecombbat.com.

Thanks,

Jerry

Having watched Voodoo & Crew test different HT Protocols over this past year, I can assure you that what they have developed is yielding very impressive results. It is time consuming and expensive to do correctly, but if you are high performance freaks, like Voodoo & Crew, it is well worth it in the end.

These Rats are killing it!:eek:

Lucky you! :thumbsup:

Let's Drink! :cool:

Jerry 😊

Back