Manix 2 LW or MicroTech MSI?

Manix 2 LW or MicroTech MSI?

• Manix 2 LW

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • MicroTech MSI Polymer

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
Most of my EDC folders are small-med (Neutron 2, Bugout) and I'm looking for a good largish one. Torn between the Manix 2 LW and the MicroTech MSI, and need help!

Would say I want an "EDC beater", but I don't really do anything crazy. Even if I'm prying, I'm going for the flathead on my SAK. Just want something durable, comfortable, and cuts well. Trying to stay under $200, because A) I've been very bad with my purchases this year, and B) Anything over that and I'd be tempted for an Atom, if TRM ever stops running the extra pricey Mike Irie customs and puts some regulars back up.

If the FRN MSI is built like the G10 version, I'd go MSI any day of the week. It is a larger knife though, makes the Manix feel like a toy. I'd say the Stitch is a closer comparison, it was the same length sharpened blade and is overall not that much bigger. Here's a shitty photo I took, best I can do 15 beers deep, I can do better/more comparisons if you'd like tomorrow. MSI looks deceptively small in pictures.

MgA0O2e.jpeg

I do not own an MSI but I do own a Manix2 LW and I absolutely love that knife (my favorite Spyderco model). I know we're not supposed to care about looks but... the MSI looks a bit angry to me. I'd still like to try one though.

Functionally the Manix blade seems more useful as an all-arounder. Not for doing dumb stuff, just as a regular user.

Top XL , bottom LW . Both are great EDC type , IMO . :cool:
I was actually tempted by the XL too!
If the FRN MSI is built like the G10 version, I'd go MSI any day of the week. It is a larger knife though, makes the Manix feel like a toy. I'd say the Stitch is a closer comparison, it was the same length sharpened blade and is overall not that much bigger. Here's a shitty photo I took, best I can do 15 beers deep, I can do better/more comparisons if you'd like tomorrow. MSI looks deceptively small in pictures.
In this case I'm good with the extra size. That Stitch looks awesome too, but those are automatic, right?
I do not own an MSI but I do own a Manix2 LW and I absolutely love that knife (my favorite Spyderco model). I know we're not supposed to care about looks but... the MSI looks a bit angry to me. I'd still like to try one though.

Functionally the Manix blade seems more useful as an all-arounder. Not for doing dumb stuff, just as a regular user.
Haha, yeah you're right they do look angry. But there's something about the design that intrigues both the engineer an fidgeter in me.

Sigh. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to end up with both. Time to sell some other toys.

Is spicy important? I'd guess the FFG manix is slicier than the MSI, but haven't looked at reviews.

Manix 2 100 percent. I don't want to stir the pot on the lock issues, just to say the Manix 2 has been proven for a while.

Manix 2 (in Cruwear is my preference) is one of my favorite folding work knives. It is really versatile and holds up to good hard work and it fits my hand well. I prefer a micarta or G10 scale over the LW for most things, but a LW sees some pocket time in the hot summer months.

Thanks all! Think I’m pretty much sold on the Manix, next step is Magnacut or SPY27. Oddly enough will probably be the latter. If nothing else wouldn’t have to worry about dyeing or replacing yellow scales.

I don t know about current prices, but the Manix 2 and Manix 2 xl are both solid knives. The xl is a hard use knife with a fine point. Under rated.
I remember seeing the difference is the manix 2 has 3 body screws and the xl has 2, and so the xl is prone to side to side play, due to the one less screw, if that matters to potential buyers

In this case I'm good with the extra size. That Stitch looks awesome too, but those are automatic, right?
RAM lock ones are manual.

Is spicy important? I'd guess the FFG manix is slicier than the MSI, but haven't looked at reviews.
Manix is actually significantly thicker behind the edge and very similar going up. I don't have a caliper on hand to measure exactly, going by feel, so take it with a bag of salt. Manix has a better piercing geometry with the distal taper and acute tip, but the MSI has an overall more robust tip and significantly longer cutting edge.

Manix 2 100 percent. I don't want to stir the pot on the lock issues, just to say the Manix 2 has been proven for a while.

Both had issues on release, and both were promptly addressed.

And before I get called out for hating on the Manix, I've had one since 2012, it was my first and only "premium" knife for years, and it's been a constant in my rotation to this day. But I find myself going for the MSI a lot more, and when I go for the Manix the Stitch scratches that itch better.

Me personally I don’t get spiderco thing, to each his own. I tried… ordered one and after inspecting it sent it back, I wasn’t the least bit impressed with it. I currently carry 2 edc knives one being a ZT the other is an MSI, I work with paper (and I’m not talking about opening envelopes) and cardboard. The MSI in my environment has been more than enough blade for me.

Another vote for the Manix, and the XL in particular.

i-VK82Jjc-X2.jpg

I remember seeing the difference is the manix 2 has 3 body screws and the xl has 2, and so the xl is prone to side to side play, due to the one less screw, if that matters to potential buyers

Both have 4 scale screws. The XL has in addition a pin through the top of the spacer instead of top scale screws. Play is not an issue when one adjusts the pivot correctly.

Last edited:
Me personally I don’t get spiderco thing,...
I was in that camp for many years.
I owned some Spydercos in the 90's and didn't buy another one until last year. It was the love of Spydercos on this forum that made me want to try them again. I now have a PM3, Delica4, and a Manix. I hate the compression lock on the PM3. The Delica is a great beater and a very useful size for a secondary knife.. The Manix2 feels more substantial and I really like the lock (I was a Benchmade guy for many years so that's the lock style I prefer). As you said to each their own.

But I haven't tried an MSI yet- so I don't know what I'm missing.

Last edited:
I've has a Manix 2 CTS-XHP in my rotation for 10 years. Great knife.

Back