Medford Gentleman Jack spanner tool

tillias

Basic Member
Hi folks, do you have any idea which spanner bit size should I use for Medford Gentleman Jack (first generation)? I have tried searching old threads, the closest is this one but there is no answer to the question sadly. I think Greg Medford uses titanium hardware so I don't want to screw it up... Any advice will be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Snake eye (spanner) bits are sized in even number increments. Ie a size 8 or size 10. I'd recommend getting a bit rail of Railer brand bits in the various sizes off the big river site. Then just use the one that's the biggest that fits the holes and gets full engagement. I use those bits at work and they are good quality.

Small update from my side: I have tried spanner #4 today and it didn't work :(

As I can see from your question the best option would be to buy original tool from the maker of the knife.
If they don't sell such tool they probably don't want the user to adjust this screw or disassemble the knife for cleaning. In this case best bet would be to just send the knife to the maker to be adjusted or cleaned.

I would probably just make a bit from piece of brass or bronze with hand tools (metal saw, diamond files and sanding paper) or file one of my flat screwdrivers.
The other option would be to buy a set of spanner bits, find the one who is closest to those holes in this pivot screw and use one of those small diamond files to adjust it till it fits in those holes.

Why don't you check this thread to see, if there is a similar knife and what the owner used to unscrew such screw:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/disassembly-pics.1363238/

Last edited:
I would probably just make a bit from piece of brass or bronze with hand tools (metal saw, diamond files and sanding paper) or file one of my flat screwdrivers.
The other option would be to buy a set of spanner bits, find the one who is closest to those holes in this pivot screw and use one of those small diamond files to adjust it till it fits in those holes.
That's a good idea, I have ordered some cheap soft spanner bits and will try to file it a bit.

Why don't you check this thread to see, if there is a similar knife and what the owner used to unscrew such screw:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/disassembly-pics.1363238/
The thing is that Medford GJ-1 is not a very popular and widely available knife. There are zero youtube videos about disasembly of Gentleman Jack and few rare ones show new torx compatible pivot. I can't find anything on the BF as well. I have asked Greg directly but received no answer. That was my motivation to start a new thread.

For some context the smallest spanner #4 is just a tinny big from what I can see.

Last edited:
For some context the smallest spanner #4 is just a tinny big from what I can see
Here you go.
File it till it fits in those holes. After filing round all sharp edges on the bit and put it in those holes very gently at first try .... just in case so you won't scratch or damage the screw.
Just take your time and do it slowly ... and be careful. A decent measure of Whisky might help you steady your hands. ;)

Back