Mexico Metal..?

So, swung by the local Ace for cull lumber (future add-on), n as per the norm, I go in to wish list shop. Came up on a Collins hatchet, being a mild collector n for the price, I picked one up. Having picked up a Harbor Freight special in the past, I figured what the hell....
Fast forward to the weekend n I got a tree I been meaning to fell. Get the saw warmed up n figure this'll be a good opportunity to put the Collins to work n see what it's got. I get the stick on the ground n figure to limb a few with the hammer, n I say hammer cuz after a few swings, the edge was gone.
So, I'm thinking the hardening process skipped a step, or the steel just sucks..?
Now I'm wondering if I should demote it to a root buster, mount it on the wall just cuz it's says Collins as a way of a memorial, or go thru the trouble n re-treat it..?

Does anyone know or aware of the steel that is used or has anyone gone ahead n try to re-treat this knock off..??

Did you sharpen from new? Many new axes come with no edge or a very rough edge, with a big burr in it. If the latter, a few swings with that big burr could make it buttery smooth and not sharp at all.

Of course, it could be garbage heat treat too.

I haven't had any of their made in Mexico axes but have a maul and it's accepable. Usually the wood is where they cheap out on those though.

I wouldn't necessarily think steel type being a problem as the normal axe steel, something like 1055, is pretty darn cheap already. All I can find through a fast search, though, is that it's drop forged steel.

The steel is probably not the problem, and the heat treatment is more likely the issue. It's probably a simple carbon steel in the 1045-1080 range and should be able to hit a minimum hardness of around 50-52 which isn't great, but good enough for real work.

Back