Micarta Options?

I thought I saw a Kailash blade with a wood colored Micarta handle somewhere.
Is this an expensive option? The handle I saw was on the Web site to the right
of this sentence "Our micarta handles are the most durable handle we offer."

I like the traditional look of your Rosewood, but micarta requires less maintenance.
I feel like micarta wood colored blades offer the best option for me if they are
not much more than the black Micarta.

On another subject, would ordering a Plain Jane Bowie with stacked leather handle
be a reasonable option? If so would you recommend deleting the metal washers?

Hey there mate,
I think the colour you're referring to is desert camo micarta- here's a photo https://kailashblades.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/desert-camo-khukuri-handle.jpg
In this picture it's been oiled which increases colour saturation slightly. In hand I don't think it looks that much like wood really. We've tried to make some micarta that looks like rosewood in the past without a lot of luck, we have a deep chocolate brown which could be the best option. For even our custom micarta the price is only an additional $5-$25 usd (depending on complexity) vs our normal stuff.
We can only do stacked leather on rat tail tang handles unfortunately so not a natural match for a plain jane. We could do a rat tail blade with a plate metal front bolster if you'd like- stacked leather is my favourite handle material.
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

It's definitely close to wood! When it's unoiled and you're up close to it though it looks a lot less woodlike.
Here's a recent rat tail example off an upcoming blade. Consider it a sneak peek ;)

IMG_2973.JPG

Last edited:

To my eyes the Chocolate brown Micarta really worked out well, but I am a bit color blind.

Hey there - I recently got a desert camo micarta Sirupate and can confirm that it looks different in the hand. To me, it looks like rattlesnake skin, but it certainly has warm, earthy tones similar to wood. You can see mind in the thread I posted “Sirupate 14” - First Impressions”. I’m very happy with how mine looks and am eager to see how it ages.

Back