Microtech UDT-First Impressions

First of all the bad news: This is a dinky knife. At 2.75 inches blade length it is not exactly intimidating when it snaps open...if that's what you're going for.

The good news: This knife is f-ing cool! I got one from the summer 2000 colored run in Ocean Blue with black combo edge from Mike Payne of Knives & Things. I was extremely satisfied with his quick and attentive service.

Back to the knife:

Fit & finsih: the fit and finish on this my first microtech is AMAZING. The blade is centered perfectly in the handle, the finish on the blade and anodizing are flawless.
The action is flawless as well. The button is just hard enough to push that it won't come open in your pocket and the spring is just strong enough to consistently snap the blade open every time but not overly strong so it kicks unneccesarily.

Sharpness: The blade is super sharp out of the box, cutting hairs on my arm without dragging the blade against the skin.

Ergonomics: Like few other well-designed knives, the ergonomics make this little knife a big performer. The blade shape (non-drop point) makes sure you get as much cutting length out of the blade length available. The handle is made for stability. The three finger hold is going to take some getting used to but the bulges at the front and rear of the handle make the grip very secure. I'm a big aluminum fan and the knife feels very good in the hand. The ridges in the sides increase the grip to maxium without undo tackiness. The front bulge causes you to hold the knife back a bit so you get an extra half inch of blade protrusion from the grip.

Overall: This is one cool knife. I would recommend it to anyone. It is hard to pay even the comparitively great price )$100.00 on sale) for such a small knife though. But it is sure to be a great performer. What a friendly little auto, as well! My girlfriend is addicted to it; with the pretty color and finish it is a real crowd pleaser. There is nothing really intimidating about it, even with the stigma attached to "switchblades." If you're looking for a great all around performer this is it. I'm not an expert, but I would imagine it would also more than suffice as a self-defense knife if you know what you're doing. I love it!

And one more thing...why is it that Microtech's anodized handles look GOOD and Benchmades look so crappy??? Mr. Marfione must have a sense of aesthetics of which Mr. De Asis is completely oblivious.

Back