Military Question

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
I'm looking at the Military, and I like what I see. Quick question for the Spyderco gurus out there:

If the Military has ATS-34 steel, does this automatically mean that it is one of the older models (before changes were made in the handle)? Or do some of the ATS-34 blades occur in the newer version?

Help!

Also, I wouldn't mind hearing what some of you think about the differences in these two production runs and/or these two types of steel.

I have a new model Military with an ATS-34 blade. I was in a hurry to buy and had a choice between the new style ATS-34 and an old style with a 440V blade. The new model features meant more to me than steel used in the blade. One feature on my new model ATS-34 Military is actually "old" and that is the notched finger choil. Personally, I like the notches.
I have no regrets about the ATS-34 blade. It's good steel. Tests done by Spyderco have shown 440V to perform better, particularly in edge retention. I still don't have a 440V blade so can't speak from personal experience, but my experience with Spyderco's ATS-34 has been quite satisfactory.

regards,
Phil

Does this mean that if I get the 440V steel I will be guaranteed to get the version with the modifications made to the handle?

I also have a new version with ATS-34 steel.
I've never owned a knife in the CPM steel so I can't compare, but I've never had a problem with the ATS-34.
Supposedly the new styles have 3 screws holding the clip in place while the older ones have 2. I know there is more changes, but not too sure what they are.

Guyon, Look for three screws fastening the pocket clip and also no grooves in the finger choil area where the blade meets the handle. Those are the most obvious characteristic of the new style Military.

Thanks guys. All the web-based dealers I've looked at so far don't indicate which production run they're selling. So, I'm asking them to look at the clip and the finger choil.

I'm tempted to get a 440-V steel knife, just because I don't have a Spyderco in that type of steel, and I understand you don't have to sharpen it all that much. If I get the 440-V, am I guaranteed to get the later production run with the handle modifications???

Back