My first good Bali is in (BM42)

WOW, what a great knife! A couple of observations:

- titanium handles are a nice addition, but for some reason they are difficult to remove blood from.

- the action on the BM in far superior to the other Balis (all sub $30) that I have felt.

- I am used to the latch being very easy to lock and unlock, basically to the point of not really holding in the groove. BMs latch lockup is much tighter than I expected.

- SHARPO. The knife is very sharp! I cut myself on the blade trying aerials. I gave it a rest for a while and tried again. This time the point landed right on the first knuckle of my index finger, near the web of my hand. ouch.

Great knife, super fun. I can't wait to get my CCW permit (this weekend!) so I can carry this thing around in my pocket and not worry about being hassled.

Good stuff!

if you mirror polish the blade and handles it's a little easier to get blood out.;)

Originally posted by Mykl Clark
if you mirror polish the blade and handles it's a little easier to get blood out.;)

That was "The Tip of the Week" for the poor guy huh Mike? ;)

Good for you Krept.., and welcome to the Forums.., you got a very nice knife.., hope you enjoy it! I think Mike was welcoming you by offering to gloss those handles up to about 1200 grit with his tip...lol :p

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Originally posted by ExamonLyf

That was "The Tip of the Week" for the poor guy huh Mike?

basically. I Actually took my blade and handles on my 43 up to 2000 grit. And yes that is the cheap way of doing things.

Great knife, super fun. I can't wait to get my CCW permit (this weekend!) so I can carry this thing around in my pocket and not worry about being hassled.

Can someone explain what is CCW ? (Aliens can get them ?)

P.S. sorry for stupid questions I'm new in country.

I believe that would be a concealed weapons permit...unfortunatly the laws on these very from state to state. In most states having one doesn't help with balis at all. I'm not sure if Aliens can get one or not.

Thanks for the advice :D. I don't have any of the fine grit paper, but I do have a Dremel and some rouge that I'm going to try...

I love double bladed knives, but there is NO way I'm even going to do a search on "how to sharpen the swedge." Seriously, I had to truly laugh when I decided to retry aerials. I was so apprehensive that I flipped the knive in the air about 10 times just to look at the physics of the spin when the handles are lighter.

One thing I noticed... steel does seem to be much more reactive to rapid, twisting aerials. Very interesting how titanium feels. I am absolutely in love with Ti right now, but I have a feeling I will be coming full circle a while down the road, once again enamored by the riddle of steel...

MamBo...

As mentioned, CCW stands for Carrying Concealed Weapons or Concealed Carry Weapon, etc...

Laws vary greatly from state to state, and you can find general information related to your state at www.packing.org.

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/illinois

In general, people associate CCW permits with the concealed carry of firearms, but in some cases it applies to knives as well.

In Arizona, the general rule of thumb is (and it actually varies from city to city) that you can, without a permit, conceal any knife on yourself, so long as it is under 3" to 4". There really isn't a law about this, but it is a general rule of thumb. This applies to fixed blades, Balis, automatic knives and folders. Some cities, however, prohibit the concealed carry of knives over 3".

Now, in Arizona, you can carry openly, (like in a sheath or a knife with a clip, so long as your shirt isn't concealing it) pretty much anything you want. Even a firearm. Yes, normal people like you and I are seen with pistols on their hips and it hardly raises an eyebrow.

The problem is, I don't really like open carry and I would like to carry a Bali in my pocket (thus concealed) but it would be technically illegal in some cities because of the 3" blade limit. Now Benchmade has essentially taken care of this with their new clip butterfly knife, but it's not for me right now...

With a CCW permit, however, you can pretty much carry whatever you want concealed. With this permit, I would basically be able to carry a Bali, pistol, Bowie knife, or dagger concealed.

Not that I'm am going to go undercover Rambo, it's just for peace of mind ;).

On a side note, I just emailed the attorney general's office about belt sheath carry of a balisong in Pennsylvania.

I will keep you all posted.

Congratulations Mr. Krept. That's a very nice knife and I'm glad that you're enjoying it.

That latch will loosen up a little with wear, but it'll be a long time and a lot of wear before it gets anywhere near the decorative bit that the latches on most CCCs are.

While the action on your 42 is very nice, you need to get some Militec-1. That'll take you into a whole different league.

Aerials are specific to each individual knife. When you make a major change in knives, like going from CCCs to a BM42, it's just prudent to tape the blade for a few minutes and get those aerials tuned back up before going live.

Mr. Krept is fortunate to live in Az, one of only a few states that issues qualified citizens a broad Concealed Carry Weapons license that applies to knives and balisongs. Most states that issue (most states actually do. Last I heard, 26 do on a "shall issue" basis.) issue either a CHL, Concealed Handgun License, or a CFL, Concealed Firearms License neither of which extends to knives.

Latest information I read, about a week ago, was thirty three states now issue ccw. Some states even have reciprosity (sic?) with other states. ie, permit in one state is good in another. If I remember right, six states have this agreement at present. But since this is a public forum do not base your defense on what you read here.:)

Back