Recommendation? My grinding curse

I have a cast iron backing , its fairly new and has an even surface , I have a graphite attachment I can put on if that would help.
Some belts track perfect some not so well

When I work on knives without a ricasso , I aproach diagonally betwen the grits to see the progress and I've never had such issue.
As I said I try to not even spend much time on that place and start grinding from the tip and then as I get to the end I even lift the tip side and have just part of the belt touching the ricasso
Sorry for the late reply. If it's not the equipment, it's the user, I guess. You said, you are lifting the blade as to not touch the ricasso fully? Look from above and check if you are actually tilting the blade more towards the belts and away from ricasso, this would create the mark that you are battling.... We tend to be focused on the angle of the grind (vertically) and forget about the other axis...

Craig has the best advice - put a ledge in a steel or aluminum platen to support the glass.
As for glue, I use JB Weld. It has a high heat tolerance.
I already have a glass platen for that laying around for 3 years now , when I got the grinder made I specifically ordered it with separate platen with a ledge 0.190" wide

Last edited by a moderator:
Back