Nakamura vs Mini Freek

damascus9

Gold Member
Dumb question time here! I have both of these knives and love them both but I noticed that the mini-Freek has no blade play while the Nakamura does. I can tighten the pivot to get rid of the play but then it won’t drop shut.

The Mini-Freek has washers and the Nakamura does not. Question is, can the Nakamura be fitted with washers or will doing so screw up the knife?

Which Nakamura are you referring to? They should all have washers if I remember correctly. Is it the 484, 486, 480, 482?

484S-1. From 7/9/2018. Definitely no washers on it. Slight side to side play that I can tighten but then it won’t drop shut or open smoothly. Thanks for asking.
IMG_0703.jpegIMG_0702.jpeg

Did you get it used? That's very strange. Yes the 484 has washers. This would explain your adjustment issues. Call customer service and they will get you fixed up.

I’m tripping. The Nakamura does have washers, they’re just smaller and harder to see than the ones on the Mini-Freek.

Different knives have different actions. Adjusting the pivot takes very fine adjustments. The smaller washers may not be helping the situation. Friction is also an enemy here. Hard to say without handling the knife.

Back