Native Changes

Modoc ED

Gold Member
I've always liked the Native no matter what version but I like the earlier version with the swedged blade much better with the name impressed in the handle.

1694883380724.png

I guess it was cost that drove Spyderco to eliminate the swedges and imprinted handle but I just don't like the new version as much as the old version.

1694883559725.png

If you're interested here are a couple pics of my Spyderco Native collection:

4xQt3GU.jpg

From top to bottom:

Native I Black FRN PE GIN1
Native I Black FRN PS GIN1
Native 2 S/S PE AUS10
Native 2 S/S PS AUS10
Native 3 Black FRN PE VG10
Native 3 Black FRN PS VG10

KXUF7ey.jpg

From top to bottom:

Native 4 Smooth CF PE VG10
Native 5 Black G10 PE S35VN
Native 5 Fluted CF PE S90V
Native 5 Fluted Ti PE S35VN

Last edited:
I guess it was cost that drove Spyderco to eliminate the swedges and imprinted handle but I just don't like the new version as much as the old version.
Cost may have been a factor in leaving the name off when they made new handle molds, but the sabre grind and swedge tip were victims of Spyderco's drive for high performance. Same reason they went away on the Police3 and 4.

If you're interested here's a couple pics of my Spyderco Native collection:

4xQt3GU.jpg

From top to bottom:

Native I Black FRN PE VG10
Native I Black FRN PS VG10
Native 2 S/S PE VG10
Native 2 S/S PS VG10
Native 3 Black FRN PE VG10
Native 3 Black FRN PS VG10

KXUF7ey.jpg

From top to bottom:

Native 4 CF PE VG10
Native 5 Black G10 PE S35VN
Native 5 Fluted CF PE S30V
Native 5 Fluted Ti PE S90V

sgt1372 sgt1372 - Of course I'm interested in your collection. Very nice, first rate. Seems that you have every generation represented. :thumbsup:

Of course I'm interested in your collection. Very nice, first rate. Seems that you have every generation represented. :thumbsup:

Yes, all gens (but not all variations) are represented. I only wanted to collect the basic models, not every variation for Gen 1-3. There was only 1 variation for Gen 4. And only wanted the basic & CF/Ti variations for Gen 5.

There's someone on BF (I don't recall who) who has amassed a much wider collection of Natives than mine.

-----------------------------------

Note: I just noticed that almost all of the steel specs in my photos were incorrectly listed. I'ce corrected them in the post above & where they were originally posted.

Last edited:
I like the most recent gen Native, it seems the most refined. Werent the first Natives Gin-1 steel though? I really wanted to try an S35VN Native 5 but they were phased out before I decided to get one, resulting in me choosing a SPY27. Does Spyderco have any S35VN models anymore?

Werent the first Natives Gin-1 steel though?

The earliest ones were. Mine are GIN-1.

See: https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C41_Native.

Does Spyderco have any S35VN models anymore?

Don't know. A quick look at Spyderco's current catalog should answer this question.

However, there's currently a Native 5 S35VN for sale on the Exchange which is being bundled w/a Kershaw Hotwire for $89. You can ask if he'll just sell the Native 5 to you. See: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spyderco-kershaw-package.1950524/

Last edited:
I can't imagine that cost would be the reason the name has been left off. It is still imprinted in the handle of many other Spydercos. In the meantime, I still need to aquire my first Native, or Native Chief.

Cost may have been a factor in leaving the name off when they made new handle molds, but the sabre grind and swedge tip were victims of Spyderco's drive for high performance. Same reason they went away on the Police3 and 4.

yablanowitz yablanowitz - If by that you mean Spyderco wanted to make them better slicers, I can see what you're saying but sometimes, although a knife may be a good slicer, I'd prefer a knife that's a good utility cutter. Also, to my way of thinking, the blade tip of the swedged Native is stronger than the newer generations. Whatever the case, the Spyderco Native is a great knife.

Last edited:
See the family resemblance? This is a pre-Native Blackhawk, in Gin-1steel. Made in Golden.

Attachments

• 20240118_185857.jpg
    20240118_185857.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
See the family resemblance? This is a pre-Native Blackhawk, in Gin-1steel. Made in Golden.

Not really.

This is a photo of the Blackhawk that I got off the Net. I've got 2 -- PE & SE -- but I'm too lazy to pull them out to post a photo of them.

iu

But, FWIW, the Blackhawk does NOT look similar to the Native to me. 🤷‍♂️

img-spyderco-native-5-cf-01.jpg

I may post side-by-side of my Natives & Blackhawks later but don't hold your breathe waiting for me to do it. ;)

Last edited:
I never liked the Native too much. I have the feeling that you get a lot less usable edge for the bulk (length and width) of the knife than with other slimmer designs such as Endura, Delica, etc.).

I like the leaf shaped blade but I would only go for FFG models. I find saber ground blades a lot less slicy.

I may grab one if I find a deal or something on the exchange.

Considering my preference for full flat grinds and wire clips, which model would you recommend? I am not picky regarding the steel and FRN is ok with me.

Thanks in advance,

Mikel

Back