Natural and Natural

An abundance of brown and natural hues near my kitchen - Joshua Fisher/Edge Knifeworks Huntsman Wharncliffe with Mocha paper micarta scales, that could blend in with a pile of old tree bark.
Ts79WB0l.jpg
I need to see if I can get some more of that mocha it looks so good for such a neutral color.

I need to see if I can get some more of that mocha it looks so good for such a neutral color.
This scale set is the 1st mocha for me, and it has some cool, subtle character; hard to pick up with my camera skills.

Is it a paper or linen micarta? the grain of the scales seems quite fine; unlike how canvas layers are obvious and visible I can't see much of the layering in this stuff.

This scale set is the 1st mocha for me, and it has some cool, subtle character; hard to pick up with my camera skills.

Is it a paper or linen micarta? the grain of the scales seems quite fine; unlike how canvas layers are obvious and visible I can't see much of the layering in this stuff.
It’s a paper micarta, it’s really neat up close seeing the subtle layers

"natural" Bone linen micarta on an Edge Knifeworks Huntsman....scales have slight weathering and darkening/patina closer to the butt, but hard to pick up.
4FhXTFCl.jpg

FOq3WSdl.jpg

The black sheath used for this knife, has worn some dye onto the scales, which personally, I like the appearance of.

Last edited:
"natural" Bone linen micarta on an Edge Knifeworks Huntsman....scales have slight weathering and darkening/patina closer to the butt, but hard to pick up.
4FhXTFCl.jpg

FOq3WSdl.jpg

The black sheath used for this knife, has worn some dye onto the scales, which personally I am like appearance of.
I would have never guessed the sheath would have worn into the material like that but it gives it a really unique look that I’m really liking also. Gives me some ideas for some “pre aged” handles in the future.

I would have never guessed the sheath would have worn into the material like that but it gives it a really unique look that I’m really liking also. Gives me some ideas for some “pre aged” handles in the future.
I don't know if the stains are indelible, as I've only scrubbed with my thumb, not any abrasive cleaning product. My thumb test did not do much, so it's stuck on decently well.

I don't know if the stains are indelible, as I've only scrubbed with my thumb, not any abrasive cleaning product. My thumb test did not do much, so it's stuck on decently well.
I have a black custom leather belt I wear. It did the same thing to the gray leather seat in my truck. Haven't been able to get it cleaned off.

I have a black custom leather belt I wear. It did the same thing to the gray leather seat in my truck. Haven't been able to get it cleaned off.
Did your belt quit releasing dye eventually?

I've had a couple pair of pants, take a mild stain from dyed black leather hip sheaths. Right where the sheath loop, belt, and pants hang out together.

Did your belt quit releasing dye eventually?

I've had a couple pair of pants, take a mild stain from dyed black leather hip sheaths. Right where the sheath loop, belt, and pants hang out together.
I think so. But the damage to my leather seat is still there so it's hard to tell.

On the subject of the black dye on the micarta knife...

The way that most black leather is dyed means the dye goes all the way through to the suede side. It will absolutely bleed into lighter colored micarta handles. The micartas are all materials that are soaked in resin (essentially), but that means they are all fabric, or at least fiber based, which will absorb dye also. All micarta has "fibers" exposed on the surface after being sanded. Bone Linen, White Paper, and similar micarta may all do this. It's not as much of an issue with the brown leathers, since they aren't dyed in a way where it is also dyed on the suede side. But, if a leather craftsman dyes their own leather and chooses to match the inside color to the outside, it can also do it.

This is the reason that the suede side isn't dyed on the Gun Leather we sell by RLO... so it won't soak into the rifle's stock, or clothing. It's also why Diomedes sheaths are kept "raw" on the inside too. Natural leather doesn't bleed color if it's not dyed on that part. But black is another animal because it goes through a more extensive dye process. I'm honestly not well versed enough to explain the difference in the dying process, I frankly don't remember... I just know for sure there IS a difference in the dye process (that much I remember).

That said, even undyed leather can also alter handle finishes. Leather can absorb, or transfer moisture. So anything you put on the handle can be absorbed OUT into the leather. And anything you "condition" leather with transfer into handle materials. I have a Blackwood knife that is considerably lighter from the sheath pulling moisture from the wood... which made the grain show even better in my opinion, so I like it.

I've also seen micarta look "duller" in color after the sheath pulled moisture from them. You can use Howard's butcher block conditioning products to even this out. And as the sheath absorbs that too, it happens less and less.

I've also seen people needlessly coat the inside of their sheaths with various oils and conditioners, causing micarta to darken as it absorbs those products.

Then there's cases where the knife handle outside of the leather darkens more than what is protected by the leather... as with Osage that darkens with UV exposure. The part out of the sheath gets super dark, the part inside stays lighter.

That's part of the cool thing about the natural materials. With use, it tells a story.

But, I usually will steer people away from black leather with light colored handles.

At the end of the day, condition the outside of your leather. You can use Howard's butcher block products on micarta and wood handles. Keep you knives clean and dry. Don't store knives in sheaths. And outside of that, enjoy the natural shift that comes with use.

On the subject of the black dye on the micarta knife...

The way that most black leather is dyed means the dye goes all the way through to the suede side. It will absolutely bleed into lighter colored micarta handles. The micartas are all materials that are soaked in resin (essentially), but that means they are all fabric, or at least fiber based, which will absorb dye also. All micarta has "fibers" exposed on the surface after being sanded. Bone Linen, White Paper, and similar micarta may all do this. It's not as much of an issue with the brown leathers, since they aren't dyed in a way where it is also dyed on the suede side. But, if a leather craftsman dyes their own leather and chooses to match the inside color to the outside, it can also do it.

This is the reason that the suede side isn't dyed on the Gun Leather we sell by RLO... so it won't soak into the rifle's stock, or clothing. It's also why Diomedes sheaths are kept "raw" on the inside too. Natural leather doesn't bleed color if it's not dyed on that part. But black is another animal because it goes through a more extensive dye process. I'm honestly not well versed enough to explain the difference in the dying process, I frankly don't remember... I just know for sure there IS a difference in the dye process (that much I remember).

That said, even undyed leather can also alter handle finishes. Leather can absorb, or transfer moisture. So anything you put on the handle can be absorbed OUT into the leather. And anything you "condition" leather with transfer into handle materials. I have a Blackwood knife that is considerably lighter from the sheath pulling moisture from the wood... which made the grain show even better in my opinion, so I like it.

I've also seen micarta look "duller" in color after the sheath pulled moisture from them. You can use Howard's butcher block conditioning products to even this out. And as the sheath absorbs that too, it happens less and less.

I've also seen people needlessly coat the inside of their sheaths with various oils and conditioners, causing micarta to darken as it absorbs those products.

Then there's cases where the knife handle outside of the leather darkens more than what is protected by the leather... as with Osage that darkens with UV exposure. The part out of the sheath gets super dark, the part inside stays lighter.

That's part of the cool thing about the natural materials. With use, it tells a story.

But, I usually will steer people away from black leather with light colored handles.

At the end of the day, condition the outside of your leather. You can use Howard's butcher block products on micarta and wood handles. Keep you knives clean and dry. Don't store knives in sheaths. And outside of that, enjoy the natural shift that comes with use.
Thanks for the thoughtful post.

I might be making my own custom "vintage" scales with the loose application of black dyed leather, tight fitting sheaths, and liberal amounts of altitude.
Some ,like this Esquire with bone linen micarta, change readily.
I had it in a black sheath...and now, this brown one:
7O3PH32l.jpg

The handle portion not housed in leather has darkened, towards the pommel:
KnZLDFkh.jpg

Fortunately, I like the look of this weathering process, and have considered other models that have come up with this handle material as I would not mind the look of time and age on another knife.

If you want me to do any custom "vintage" scale mods on any of Andy's upcoming knives, let me know; I volunteer my time.

Otherwise, I'll just have to craft my art, alone, with my own Fiddlebacks.
qujtLEdh.jpg

Jokes aside and with sincerity, thanks again for the considerate post, which took time to type in a busy day, I'm sure.

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

I might be making my own custom "vintage" scales with the loose application of black dyed leather, tight fitting sheaths, and liberal amounts of altitude.
Some ,like this Esquire with bone linen micarta, change readily.
I had it in a black sheath...and now, this brown one:
7O3PH32l.jpg

The handle portion not housed in leather has darkened, towards the pommel:
KnZLDFkh.jpg

Fortunately, I like the look of this weathering process, and have considered other models that have come up with this handle material as I would not mind the look of time and age on another knife.

If you want me to do any custom "vintage" scale mods on any of Andy's upcoming knives, let me know; I volunteer my time.

Otherwise, I'll just have to craft my art, alone, with my own Fiddlebacks.
qujtLEdh.jpg

Jokes aside and with sincerity, thanks again for the considerate post, which took time to type in a busy day, I'm sure.
I too like to "customize" my collection in this way.

Back