North American puukko...

Camillus’ new BECKER KNIFE AND TOOL COMBAT UTILITY-7 looks like a winner: rugged design, superb steel (thanks, Will) and the ergonomic Becker handle. The sheath looks great, too! It’s a little more edge than I need now, though, my needs in that area being fulfilled by my CS SRK, a kukri and various other large blades.
But I could use an all-around, more compact knife. How about a modern rendition of the venerable Pilot’s Survival Knife (without the silly saw teeth, of course), also in 0170-6C steel, flat ground, powdercoat finish and with an ergonomic grip, and a matching sheath? You could call it the North America Puukko, or maybe, the Canadian, since that would reflect the boreal forest heritage of the puukko.
:D

I've been harrassing Camillus to make a run of the Pilot Survival Knife without the stoopid sawteeth for over a year, and I welcome all the help I can get. So far there's no sign their resistance is weakening. :(

I've even suggested they could leave the sawteeth off a few thousand "by accident" and sell it as a rare production defect at a premium price for collector's value. The knife is such a bargain to start with it would still be very affordable. Are you listening, Will??? If you do it I'll hype it all over the knife forums as the greatest thing since the four-loaf cleaver....

I'm also harrassing them to make a classic muskrat with both blades locking, and I welcome all the help I can get on that project, too.

Hi Cougar,

The closest you can come to a Camillus A/AF pilot survival without the sawback is the special run Marbles expert, or Ideal models, which makes sense because they originate from a common ancestor.

I agree, it would make a mighty fine outdoor knife, if it could be kept in the sub $50 range.

:D.

Back