NOT A FLAME!!! ---Spyderco's worst knife?

Hi, all.
Let me say, yes, I'm pretty new to the forum, and I know this might seem like a rip on Spyderco. It isn't.
I'm posting because I just bought a couple of Jot Sing Khalsas, which I love to use, they feel great, HOWEVER, the scales just don't fit right. Every other Spyderco, I've ever seen seemed pretty much perfect. I think the problem was that there are too many angles on it that stick out, so for a production knife, getting all of the micarta lined up with the steel must have been difficult, which is why they looked so bad (for a Spyderco, that is.)
comments?

------------------
One small step for man, one giant leap for frogs, one mile for fleas

Ahh, the sinking feeling of the not-quite-right knife, I know it well. You are in the fortunate position of being able to send it back to the factory without it costing you an arm and a leg (unlike myself), so give that a try, it should rekindle the romance
smile.gif

Ferret, your idea is the right one, but I think you're missing the point:
ALL OF THE JOT SINGH KHALSA ARE LIKE THAT.
Every single one that I've seen!!!!
they are all VERY imperfect.
That is why I entitled this posting as Spyderco's worst knife ever?
Do you know if there have ever been other such obvious blunders?
Or if there was ever a "worse" knife from Spyderco, and why?
I think I'd get laughed at by Spyderco, if I tried to send it back to the factory.
Also, I don't know if this means anything, but it is discontinued.
=--------Ed

------------------

I dunno, mine looks OK. I think there is a point on the end where the micarta comes out like 1/64th" from the steel, but that is not that bad to me..

Now, I don't know how severe the problems are on your knives, but if it's like mine, Why not even it out with some sandpaper or something? I don't think this qualifies it as "worst" knife IMHO.

this is one of my favorite knives, and I carry it almost daily since I got it. My biggest complaint is that it seems like I'm always trying to get fingerprints off it.

send it to Frank Recupero, and let him re-do it in Charoite and add some neat spacers.. then you'll have a very pretty very expensive knife you'll be terrified to use
wink.gif

Hey edrozen-

You'll get more sympathetic as well as more specific responses if you try not to bark at a respondent who you think is "missing the point".

If you don't like the Khalsas because you feel they are inherently poorly designed, then hop over to the Knives for Sale forum and watch 'em fly. Problem solved.

I haven't heard anyone else mention this idiosyncrasy concerning the Khalsas, so I certainly wouldn't say it's the "worst" Spyderco. What does that even mean? In terms of what? I don't know, Spyderco makes some really nice stuff- you'd be hard pressed to find people to nominate "worst" Spydies.

Least favorite? Well, maybe, but that's purely subjective. A knife could be flawlessly designed and built, while unattractive to some- certainly not the worst, though.

clip

Okay,
LET ME SAY: I LIKE IT, IT IS A GOOD KNIFE!!!
The only reason I think this is Spyderco's worst knife is because of a consistant sloppiness in design. It's a great knife.
However, when compared to every other spyderco I've ever see this one comes up shy. And I am only refering to the ill fitting scales.
Ed
Let me say one more thing:
EVERY SPYDERCO KNIFE CAN EXPECTED TO BE NEAR PERFECT!!! If that's not a compliment I don't know what is.
With the J.S.K. there lacks that perfection that Spyderco has been known for. In every single one I've seen. Every other spyderco has been perfect or close to it.
I hope I've cleared up any hard feelings.

------------------

[This message has been edited by edrozen (edited 03-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by edrozen (edited 03-18-2000).]

Back