Official THK picture thread

I love that growl!

And i agree on the 52100, Thats my favorite steel.

And in the op, very first picture, 5th row, all the way over to the right... Looks like a little rat, i like the design, its so different, id love to see how that one ended up!!

Last edited:
And in the op, very first picture, 5th row, all the way over to the right... Looks like a little rat, i like the design, its so different, id love to see how that one ended up!!
I cannot take any credit for that design; it was dreamed up by a friend of mine here on the forums, and he sent me a handmade template to work from. I've made a couple prototypes for him. This cat knows exactly what he wants, he's thought through every detail, and I think he's got a great idea.

I can say no more at this point... but I'll say this much, it's really *blanking* cool! :)

ETA: if anyone has questions about, or interest in that particular design, send them to me by email (james@terrioknives.com) and I will forward them to the guy that designed it. I say again, all credit for that pattern goes to him. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Ah, well it does look like a cool design.

On another note the plunge line on that blue handled one is awesome.

On another note if you make a growl shaped blade out of 52100 with this handle.... Well that would be oh so lovely.

5eb148b0-0985-4a15-871d-72629e76b952_zpsb29b143a.jpg

Growl blade patterns with the "comfort contour" handle shape like you see in that pic are in the works :)

what are the specs on the camp knife pictured on the first page?

what are the specs on the camp knife pictured on the first page?

O1 tool steel, 3/16" thick at the ricasso, full flat grind, mild distal taper, tapered tang. 8.125" blade, 13" overall. Blade taken to a 1500-grit silk polish, then etched and antiqued. One stainless Corby bolt and two stainless thong tubes in a fully-sculpted handle.

OKImage0_zpsf076f162.jpg

OKImage1_zpsc48c5ae7.jpg

Some sweet looking blades James. I really like that bushcrafter.

attachment.php

Thank you! I like that model, too, and I'll certainly be making more. It's not fancy, it just works. Simple is good.

A big part of my job is to continue to innovate and improve my skills, and to develop new patterns to get more people interested.

My approach to innovation isn't to come up with some whacky design that looks like a Klingon spaceship collided with an Edsel; that's just not my thing at all.

I'm just trying to push the boundaries of how thin I can grind an edge before it gets too weak... how comfortable can I make a handle - not just for me but for people with much larger and much smaller hands than mine?

How can I build a knife that's light and seems to float in the hand, but is strong enough for hard work? How can I find the best balance of cutting performance and toughness? What materials can I use to push the envelope of strength and edge-retention without going off the deep end with blades that are impossible for a regular person to sharpen, or shatter in use, or are too expensive to use in the real world ... stuff like that.

That sort of thing doesn't show up very well in photos... let's be honest, my knives are pretty straightforward. Some might even say "boring". But I find the pursuit of those pesky details fascinating and worthwhile. :)

Last edited:

attachment.php

I got to fondle that knife at the gathering. It was his challenge knife, since I had a knife in the challenge I wasnt allowed to participate so I didnt get to use it, But I really liked this knife. It had a tapered tang which balanced it out nice. The handles where comfortable, and you know how I feel about that. Good job on that one says I.

No knife in this picture, but I did have my SideKick on my belt when I took it... that counts.

tumblr_myu5iviqvZ1t96dyxo1_1280.jpg

This will be donated to a US serviceman ( or woman ) in Afghanistan as part of a group build from another forum. Chisel-ground 52100 with canvas micarta and forced patina. Sheath by Kiah.

tumblr_n06zmgEbIo1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n06zm2LgeP1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

I learned to lead from leaders. I stand on the shoulders of giants, and the credit goes to them.

:)

What is your impression of the 52100? I've been waiting to ask.

Back