Older Buck 112 makeover

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
I have been wanting to get one of these to do like this for myself ever since doing a few for forum members. I've done a lot of the Buck 110 and Buck 560 folders but only a few of the 112s. I personally feel that the 112 is the perfect EDC size so to me it is the best one of those mentioned to upgrade.

This one is a pre 1974 model. I didn't have it for a half hour before I was adding a thumb stud and hand made low rider clip to it mounted for tip up carry. I anodized the clip gold after bead blasting it in an attempt to blend it better with the brass handles. I started to clean it up with some SimiChrome but after thinking it over I decided I would wipe it with Windex and keep the pocket worn look since I love the character it adds. This is every bit as nice as any current modern production folder now for me and much more convenient to carry than in a sheath or in the pocket.

Thanks for looking.

STR

Buck112makeover.jpg

Buck112Makeover2.jpg

Buck112Makeover3.jpg

Man that looks good. I love the clip color. ;)

Nice job :thumbup:

How easily does it open with the thumbstud? Any knife you would say it "feels like"?

Its no harder to open than any of my smaller Spyderco knives. I'm not sure why. This is not typical in my experience when it comes to these Buck folders. It may be due to its age and being well used and broken in. Alls I know is that its much easier to open than the last 112 I did but that one was new too. I am really happy with this one. It came with an easy open sheath but I don't recall if that means it was made for that so it is rounded on the tang more than one that didn't have that feature for easier opening or if it is something else.

STR

Very nice looking work, love the clip as well.

How did you get rid of the thumbnail groove?

It never had a thumbnail groove in it. It looks better that way huh? I thought it was just waiting for a thumb stud.

The older ones didn't have the thumb nick.

STR

STR said:
Its no harder to open than any of my smaller Spyderco knives. I'm not sure why. This is not typical in my experience when it comes to these Buck folders. It may be due to its age and being well used and broken in.
I read in another thread that Buck changed the design of their lockbacks in the 70's, to avoid having them classified as "gravity knives" in some less-enlightened jurisdictions. Yours must pre-date that change.

Yes. The newer ones are harder to open for sure. On the 560s I've modified with a thumb stud its been necessary to pop the pivot pin out and replace it with a removable adjustable stainless one so you can take out the blade and so the tang of the blade can be modified slightly to ease opening. I did that to my own and its a nice carry knife now sporting a thumb stud and low ride clip. Its the same foot print as the 110 but lighter than the 112 in this thread so its a nice feature. I'd really love to see Buck offer that same upgrade to the 112 in the future.

STR

Great work on your 112. I love the thumbstud and clip addition.

A Buck 112 was my first 'real' knife -- a gift from my folks -- and still have the same one some 20+ years later.

A few months ago I sent it back to Buck to swap out for BG42. Even though my 112 came back looking good, your 112 looks GREAT!

Well done.

Andy

Wow this is sure an old post to be bumping, but I would love to see the pictures. I am definitely interested in doing this to MY 112.

Must of pulled them to make room for space at one time. Anyway, this is one of two 112 models I have just like this. This one was the user. The other is still in new condition (almost) in the safe buried somewhere in back.

The older model Buck models like this one that dates from 1974 were much easier to open and close than these new ones. They also did not come with nail nicks in the blades.

STR

Attachments

• Buck 112 makeover.jpg
    Buck 112 makeover.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Buck 112 Makeover 2.jpg
    Buck 112 Makeover 2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Buck 112 Makeover 3.jpg
    Buck 112 Makeover 3.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 85
Well, that looks great! Can you still put the stud on, even with the nail nick? Also, what is the total cost on this project? I'm a starving college student, so that IS indeed a factor!

Sir,

Can you add the clip and thumbstud to one of the Buck Ecolite 112's? If so, what is the cost? Many thanks!

JSF

Sir,

Can you add the clip and thumbstud to one of the Buck Ecolite 112's? If so, what is the cost? Many thanks!

JSF

When I did that kind of work I did thread those types of things but I have no idea about the thread ability or lack of holding that the material used may or may not possess so this and the fact I don't even stock the stuff to do that type work anylonger make it difficult for me to take on. I just do the clips and prybars now and most all the clips are factory preset holes which keep me hopping day to day. For the time the being I've quit taking on custom work at all until I catch up with the regular stuff ordered. Thanks for asking tho. To do this job normally ran $45 so it would cost more than the folder to do the clip based on what I saw for price point. Just FYI
STR

Sir,

Thank you for the quick reply! If you ever get time, I'd love to have you modify one of the regular 112's! Thanks again!

V/R,

JSF

Back