Ontario 499 Survival Knife - how to darken the handle

BigAl62

Gold Member
I have an Ontario 499 pilot survival knife. The stacked leather handle is pretty much how it came out of the factory except that i have treated it a couple of times with Howard's Premium Leather Salve. I would like to darken the color. I see where people say to just carry and use it and it will darken but it's a drawer queen that I bought when OKC sold. I tried to order a few OKC products while I could still get them. I'm wondering if Kiwi brown shoe wax would accomplish what I'm trying to do? Or will I ruin it?

I have a Case USMC that's kind of the same way except it has a bit more shiny appearance like it's sealed so the wax may not penetrate.

Attachments

• IMG_6189.jpg
    IMG_6189.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 6
You can use shoe polish on it. Black brown or cordovan. It will color it and seal it somewhat.

When I replace a handle I use kiwi cordovan

view

Last edited:
imho, don't use brown shoe wax, it adds pigment, and wax, likely a bad idea

I'd personally consider using natural tanning, grind up some oak or chestnut bark, and get a natural tannin shade ; p ... or, if that's a bit too hard core...

mink oil is the trick imho (also in my experience the best for leather care & maintenance & longevity)

OK I just ordered some Fiebings Alcohol Based Permanent Leather Dye in Cordovan color (I like that color, eveled!) from the big online store that starts with "A."

I'm out of town on a job but hopefully it will be there when I get home. I'll post pics of the results when I get done.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited:
I've also used walnut and pecan hulls from trees in the yard...both contain lots of dark stain (and are often used to blacken traps and leather)...

I suspect the juglone toxins in walnut hulls may also help fight/prevent mold growing on the leather handle, a perennial problem here when it's humid in the summer...(borax also works)...

OK I just ordered some Fieblings Alcohol Based Permanent Leather Dye in Cordovan color (I like that color, eveled!) from the big online store that starts with "A."

I'm out of town on a job but hopefully it will be there when I get home. I'll post pics of the results when I get done.

Thanks for all the feedback.
I've used Fiebing's leather dye in the past, and it works great. A true, professional quality dye. Once the dye has dried, I use Smith's leather balm to keep the leather conditioned.

I have an Ontario 499 pilot survival knife. The stacked leather handle is pretty much how it came out of the factory except that i have treated it a couple of times with Howard's Premium Leather Salve. I would like to darken the color. I see where people say to just carry and use it and it will darken but it's a drawer queen that I bought when OKC sold. I tried to order a few OKC products while I could still get them. I'm wondering if Kiwi brown shoe wax would accomplish what I'm trying to do? Or will I ruin it?

I have a Case USMC that's kind of the same way except it has a bit more shiny appearance like it's sealed so the wax may not penetrate.
Well here is what I ended up with. I was expecting something a bit "redder" from cordovan but it came out more black. In the end, that's OK because I kind of like the black look. I started with a couple of applications of Fiebing's cordovan leather dye. That dried for a couple of weeks while I was out of state on a job. When I got home, I applied Meltonian Brilliant Gloss Wax Polish (cordovan). I hand buffed with a microfiber towel. Let the discussion begin. . .

Attachments

• IMG_6624.jpg
    IMG_6624.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 5
It is very dark, but I like it, I bet it will lighten up and get highlights with use.

Last edited:
I would take that bet, Ed!

Feibings dye penetrates like mad, even when the leather has already been treated with leather balm/salve/conditioner. Any of the darker tints will get close to black in an absorptive material if you apply it heavily enough, especially together with the conditioners, which seem to obscure or dim the brighter colors. I would expect that what you have is going to last at least a decade or so.

If you were hoping for some highlights or lighter spots, you might try abrading the leather with some medium grit sandpaper, and avoid putting any more sealants on the leather.

I would take that bet, Ed!

Feibings dye penetrates like mad, even when the leather has already been treated with leather balm/salve/conditioner. Any of the darker tints will get close to black in an absorptive material if you apply it heavily enough, especially together with the conditioners, which seem to obscure or dim the brighter colors. I would expect that what you have is going to last at least a decade or so.

If you were hoping for some highlights or lighter spots, you might try abrading the leather with some medium grit sandpaper, and avoid putting any more sealants on the leather.
Actually, I kind of like it after the initial shock. I probably put it on too heavy but it's all good.

You can use shoe polish on it. Black brown or cordovan. It will color it and seal it somewhat.

When I replace a handle I use kiwi cordovan

view
dubbin definitely makes shoes go darker.

no idea why that is in bold.

Back