Ontario ASEK

I think I'm fixin' to acquire an Ontario ASEK
Just feeling the need to give something new a whirl.

I'm currently working in the middle of nearly 3,000 acres of Northern Michigan Forest Lands.
So there is plenty of opportunity to try it out.

My JPSK has served me wellb but there is a draw ffom its newest cousin to give one a go.

I did a search here for ASEK in titles and threads, not really a lot out there.

This would be a stretch for me, because I don't usually care much for serrations.

Last edited:
Newest? I didn't even know they still made it... Or did they rerelease it? (It's been over 5 years since I saw anybody mention it.)

It isn't the type of knife that interests me; but if it's what scratches your itch, go for it. :thumbsup:

Newest? I didn't even know they still made it... Or did they rerelease it? (It's been over 5 years since I saw anybody mention it.)

It isn't the type of knife that interests me; but if it's what scratches your itch, go for it. :thumbsup:
This is the knife in question, just for reference,

They run about half the MSRP from dealers.

Normally, I would 100% agree with you about it not being the type of knife that interests me.

But on another site, we recently lost a no nonsense member who did amazing things with this and the older 499

I have sort of decided to honor his memory and give one a go to see what fun projects I can conjure up.

Sometimes, I just feel the need to extend outside my comfort zone

As a fan of the old 499, I was very interested in your take on the ASEK. Sounds very positive. There is a YT vid on the ASEK and the reviewer was surprised how well the the serrations worked making feather sticks, looks like you had the same experience. The handle always struck me as a little odd shaped, how was it for comfort? Different grips? Any hot spots?

As a fan of the old 499, I was very interested in your take on the ASEK. Sounds very positive. There is a YT vid on the ASEK and the reviewer was surprised how well the the serrations worked making feather sticks, looks like you had the same experience. The handle always struck me as a little odd shaped, how was it for comfort? Different grips? Any hot spots?

At this point,
I'd say its a little too early to really tell about the knife as a whole.
But I can say, with the little time I have spent using it, the handle seems fantastic.

There is a bit of a learning curve here for me.
'I'm not usually a serrations guy. The saw back is much more aggressive than my 499 (JPSK) Bolt Knife

I used my palm on the glass breaker pommel to drive through some sticks for splitting them down to feathering size.
I thought the point would be annoying/painful, but I did not find that to be the case.

More as we get acquainted.
LV,

The 499 hold a special place for me, as my Grandpa gave his to my father after his time served in the Navy.

Unfortunately, when my father offered it to me many years ago I turned it down as I was already content with my old Buck 119.

On the bright side, it went to a good mutual friend who redid the rotting leather and cleaned it up to start using it again.

I wanted to get out and use my new Aircrew Survival Egress Knife this morning,
but I was stuck in the kitchen making breakfast.

The drudgery of KP Duty never ends,

First i cleaned up some cooking utensils,

Then I got to work on the appetizers,

Once the oven came up to temperature, in they went. I hate all this electronic gadgetry!

A quick peek to see how they are doing,

The oven says they are done,

I've seen worse,

They were horrible but we ate them anyways to hold us over to real breakfast

After choking down some yeast stick bread some real food was in order.

Once again the ASEK surprises me.

It slices veggies way better that I had ever hoped, I wasn't even trying for thin slices, or you could probably read the writing through the onion,

The front non serrated edge could and will be a little sharper, but like the guy on television likes to say, "It Wheel Cut"

No breakfast is complete without "Stuff Posing As Meat"

I hate these fancy glass cook tops! They scratch so easy,

A little sauté action,

Mix it all together,

Pour it back in the pan,

Meanwhile in the oven that talks to the internet, a couple yeast rolls are baking away,

Shuffle the eggs around for something to do,

Add some shredded Mozzarella, who puts Mozz on Spam and Eggs??

Time to plate it up. Nobody should be forced to eat this kind of stuff.

The bread smelled of burnt oven cleaner, The eggs reeked of melted teflon,
It wasn't pretty,

Then there is that whole clean up process, first you have to cool the pans,

Then you actually have to wipe them out with a paper towel,

So labor intensive. I wish I could have just gone out and played with my new knife!

For the record,
I called Gavin this morning.
He says currently California recognizes Zinc Phosphate as a "Vitamin Supplement"
But they are still doing research on it.

I had to re-set my password. Excellent choice and great outing. I have the 499 and the Gerber LMF.

Back