Ontario Machete discussions

Sorry if I missed it but I didn't see a machete specific category. Also, am I missing something about the sharpness of a machete blade ? I say, the sharper the better.

Anyways, something that has always puzzled me is when I hear people say that machete's are not supposed to be hair popping sharp. I have used machetes all my life, almost 60 now. I can't say that I have ever had any situation where I thought a less sharp edge would be the way to go. Yet I have probably heard that phrase at least a dozen or 2 times from people.

I started telling people that they just say that cause they have a machete made from crap steel or a crap heat treat or no heat treat at all. I tell them that yes, my machetes are hair popping sharp. Not all are Ontario's.

But I gotta say that the ones I am always reaching for are either my 18" un modified sawback Ontario or my highly modified 12" Ontario. I turned it into a Bushcraft machete. Made a Bowie tip - inline with the center of the handle. Made about 3-4" of jimping for thumb on spine. Squared off a short spot for fire steel use. And I made a 2 finger choil. I love it.

I think that a high quality machete is a super useful tool that is highly under rated by many. I have used the 18" to chop through a tree of about 12" diameter that was blocking a trail. It worked & was none the worse for wear. Handle was & is still tight. I also out chopped someone with my 12" highly modified, $21 Ontario machete who had a $600 custom made knife. He was not a happy camper.

Ontario has a great thing going with their 1095 heat treated machete's. Hope they don't change them.

Anyways, the only time I've ever heard that a dull knife is what you want is a bayonet. I didn't know that & had 4 different bayonets taken from me in the Army. Nobody said why. Then, towards the end of my enlistment I got to be friends with a Vietnam combat Spec 5. He told me he was just like me and sharpened his bayonet & that it almost cost him his life. When he used it for real, it got stuck between the rib bones and didn't want to come out. That makes perfect sense but nobody ever told us in training. That's a pretty important piece of information they left out !!!

It made me re evaluate our Army bayonets. Maybe a round blade, like the civil war, are the way to go, to avoid the stickage in the bone issues ?

What say you about machete blade sharpness ?

Sharp is best, of course. How would a dull cutting/chopping tool ever be better? The problem with a sharp machete is only in keeping it that way, considering how they are generally used. Clearing brush, especially near the ground and it will inevitably hit stones or debris that few edges will survive undamaged. So except in certain circumstances a thin edge is not the best choice, but thicker doesn’t mean dull. In any case they are easy enough to sharpen, so not a big problem anyway. I have a few workhorse Ontario 12’s and they have performed admirably. My favorites are actually the thin blade version, now sadly discontinued. Always kept one at hand when splitting firewood for cutting though those annoying strings holding pieces together that didn’t warrent another swing. And for de-barking.

I agree with you I have often heard people say machetes shouldn't be "really" sharp. I don't think they absolutely have to be razor sharp but almost dull to start seems stupid to me. I prefer Ontario machetes because they can actually get sharp and say that way for far longer than others I own. I use a heavily modified 22" heavy duty Ontario ,cut down to about 18" with a squared sharpened tip and completely customized handle for most things. I like the weight and much less flex and vibration from Ontario using thicker stock than south American made machetes. Sharp is always better for a cutting tool! Stabbing,digging,prying, scraping and other tools will depend on use to decide level of sharpness.

Well one machete I would like to add on here is the SP-53 short heavy machete. Its a short sword type light saber when dealing with black spruce and alder brush. Plus the winter wood processing blade for Froe/Batoning wood besides its general all round heavy use I've used them for. I got lighter knives that can do the light to medium jobs, but when it comes to the heavy lifting, its my SP-51 and SP-53s that do them. Although the SP-10 can do such things at a lesser degree, as can the SP-8.

Yes, I have all of those as well. The sp 53 is an absolute beast of a chopper. But I also love the others too. I modified the saw back on my sp 8 so I actually works really good now.

I sure hope that after this whole "global pandemic" thing is over, that Ontario brings back their 1095 & 5160 goodness. I also hope that they continue with and add to their SP Line up.

I for one, would LOVE TO SEE THE FOLLOWING:

SP-Nessimuk
SP-Alaskan Ulu's (a smaller one where the grip fits into the palm and a larger one that you can put 4 fingers through & around the grip)
SP-Skinner
SP-Fillet knives
SP-Bait knife

I like the Ontario CT-1 12" machete. Very economical and a lot of fun to mod.

As far as the SP series goes, I wish OKC would bring back the SP-50 or SP-51.

I love my SP-51. Ontario should really bring all those awesome SP's back to life. My first one was called the SP-Quartermaster. I bought it from a Company called Brigade Quartermasters. Not even sure they are in business anymore.

I have the 12" heavy saw tooth machete. I got the short one because it is easier to carry on my belt and in my canoe. I sharpen it with a bastard file and touch it up after at the end of the day. It's easier to keep a blade sharp than to sharpen a dull one. I don't get it shaving sharp and I find the rough file edge slices through dirty dried rope better than any knife.

For me, I have a highly modified 12" machete. Handle mod, Bowie tip, firestarter spot on spine, 2 finger choil. Mine is shaving sharp. But it is easy for me to get it that way & keep it that way. I enjoy sharpening. It's therapeutic to me. It would definitely be one of my go - to tools if I could only have one.

I would definitely love to see OKC expand on their Spec - Plus line. And bring back the 5160 steel for the SP line up.

I just acquired a SP6-95 (or maybe 8-95?) machete and SP-5 survival bowie. Don’t know much about them. How do they stack up? It’s older from what I can tell so I’m thinking it’s got 1095 steel.

Last edited:
SP-8s I gave away, not because I didn't want them but because others needed them, don't look to "Knifie" and seems pretty prybarie for the urban enviroment and a great tool for a car. And in the woods it works as a great multi-tool and short heavy machete category. Most who I gave it to said "Well it only helped out us out once." then realized that's the reason I gave it to them was for when it was needed. They keep them in case they are needed again. The winter batoning and getting tree limbs for fire and putting under tires and such did coming in handy. I'm probably going to have to get another Latin machete, my R-TAC II does a good job at that but I need some thing longer.

the best one, imho is the ct5 - with a 22" blade (18" of which is sharp...)

it's built like a tank in 1075, with the added weight & reach it easily keeps up with a good hatchet

I'm working on modding my handle to something I like more... but it's very much a slow burn project, taking my time and testing different wood

0001603_ct5-22-inch-machete-ontario-knife-company_330.jpeg

Back