Overlander; Folding Universal Camp Knife

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Howdy y'all!

This knife began its life as an off cut. Someone sent me a slab of CPM 3V years ago, and I made kind of a chopper type blade out of it which was never finished, (at least not yet). The remaining piece I held on to, because that's how I do, and it really could only be used for a folding knife in terms of its size.

Well, that off cut's day has come and it's now a knife. A ridiculous, overbuilt, thicc, heavy knife! The kind of folding knife that needs a pouch for carrying it, since it's too big and too heavy for pocket carry.

This is my second attempt at a folding knife, and despite its ridiculous proportions the tolerances are tight and the action is smooth. Lockup is super solid.

The pivot and stop pin are .25", from the wonderful Alpha Knife Supply Alpha Knife Supply . Titanium is 6Al4V, scales are carbon fiber and the fasteners are 7075 aluminum with hard anodizing. The blade rides on bronze washers.

32B1uuo.jpg

gnLyul0.jpg

zg4gfvP.jpg

qALeFNW.jpg

2BAx4Ye.jpg

sPe9fUN.jpg

M7ZlSGc.jpg

75VSZZD.jpg

I'll be revisiting this thread with more info- I still need to finish the sheath and clean up the knife a little bit but for some reason it feels important to post this up before the month officially ends. I'm weird like that, and in so many other ways as well, lol.

Thank you so much for checking out my thread :)

For those time when a fixed blade fits your needs better;

I can't tell you how many times I've thought about how I'd make something like that work.
It's awesome to see someone have the same idea and drive it home.

that's some fantastic work.

I just watched your video on Instagram. It's just amazing everything you pulled off in what I understand to be one of your first few folders. Unbelievable! Congrats.

Absolute awesomeness Lorien ! Nice work. 🤙🏼
Thanks brotha!
I can't tell you how many times I've thought about how I'd make something like that work.
It's awesome to see someone have the same idea and drive it home.

that's some fantastic work.
Thanks so much! I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with this. I did it my way but I'm 100% sure someone else did it differently, and 90% sure it was probably done this way by someone at some point in time
I just watched your video on Instagram. It's just amazing everything you pulled off in what I understand to be one of your first few folders. Unbelievable! Congrats.
Thanks Richard! This was my second folder. I just ordered enough titanium to make a few more. I'm going to bring the Bingalor back!

Beautiful. I would love to find me one like that.
thanks very much! My hope is that one day this design will be available at a reasonable price from a manufacturer...

This knife is incredible. Great workmanship. It's amazing that such a big knife looks so refined. If I lived in the US, I'd definitely want to buy one. It's marvellous work.

This knife is incredible. Great workmanship. It's amazing that such a big knife looks so refined. If I lived in the US, I'd definitely want to buy one. It's marvellous work.
thanks, I appreciate it!
There is only one, and I doubt I'll ever make another...the only reason this one exists is because I had an otherwise useless piece of 3V laying around, lol!

Do you plan to sell? Do you have a price in mind?
I'll have it at the Blade Show with the intention of getting feedback from other knife makers, etc. We'll see what happens with it during the show, (I don't intend to sell it there but you never know what can happen) but if it ends up coming home with me, yeah I'll put it up for sale. Have no idea what $ it would be at this point, but I'll figure everything out after Blade

ps. if it goes for sale here on BF, it'll require a paid membership for purchase

Back