Parkerizing Damascus?

Hey guys, I was doing some digging and found an old thread originated by REK Knives REK Knives where Salem Straub Salem Straub mentioned some were Parkerizing their damascus blades for a heavy durable contrast. He directed the thread to Quesenberry Knives and I think this is his work? If so... wow... amazing look:

Legacy Thread - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/anyone-ever-parkerized-a-knife.1419947/

In the same vein I've seen Karl B. Andersen Karl B. Andersen hot blue his damascus to beautiful results.

--------------------

This has led me to some questions:

1.) Has anyone had success parkerizing damascus recently?
2.) Does anyone have some sweet pictures of parkerized knives?
3.) Any tips on DIY at home parkerizing? (would sandblasting pre parkerizing increase success?)
4.) Is there a better treatment than parkerizing that yall know of?
5.) Has anyone done a parkerized stone wash on full tang EDC?

Cheers yall!
James

I just recently heard of using phosphoric acid instead of coffee after etching with ferric chloride to help blacken things up. I’m going to try this probably later in the week on a test piece and if I’m happy with the results I’ll do a blade that will be ready. From what I’ve been told is the phosphoric acid also leaves a rust resistant coating behind.

I just recently heard of using phosphoric acid instead of coffee after etching with ferric chloride to help blacken things up. I’m going to try this probably later in the week on a test piece and if I’m happy with the results I’ll do a blade that will be ready. From what I’ve been told is the phosphoric acid also leaves a rust resistant coating behind.
Neat! Please post your results! I'm curious to see it.

Ed Caffery uses Gunkote.
Very nice, I'll take a gander. His old DVDs hold a warm spot in my heart.

I've used gunkote as well, most recently on a damascus chess set. Nothing bad to say about it.

I used guncote on a Damascus blade with good results. Seems to hold up good when applied with an air brush.

edit: As weo mentioned I remember Ed Caffery has mentioned etching deep and painting with black Gunkote then sanding the high portions, followed up with clear for a protective coat. I only used clear as a protective coat to preserve the existing etch.

Last edited:
Depending on the contrast you get with the etch, gunkote will improve it. It's basically a spray paint (applied with an airbrush). You etch deep enough for some topography, spray with black (or any other color, for that matter) and then use high grit paper with a solid backer to sand off the high spots (the silver). Most folks will then follow up with a clear coat for more protection.

I don't know if your a member J. Keeton J. Keeton but Im pretty sure this was a topic of discussion a few times on Don Fogg's old forum. Bladesmiths forum.. I know parkarizing came up often over there.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! This give me some stuff to try for sure. Sounds like gunkote could be a fun thing to give a go.

Kentucky Kentucky I'll do some searches.

I've been working on this for over 3 years. I've considered doing classes on this at some point, but students would have to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
I want 100% clean and bright 15N20 with totally black tool steel.
Nothing is added to the steel.
If you want my black off, you'd have to take it to the grinder.

tHag6Gn.jpg

jSTfXUq.jpg

Last edited:
Back