Pocket pry bars

Tried carrying few, sometimes in my pocket or sometimes in my keychain but always came to the same conclusion that they are just too annoying to carry around for the little utlity they give. I also often carry multitool of some sort anyway to fix that problem anyway.

Same as many with they are just too cumbersome to carry a lot of the time. I did get a little Ti pry, designed by Ostap Hel and Civivi.
Small enough to disappear on my keychain but I find I use it as a flathead more than a prybar.
Does the trick though, and the keys on the ring give a little leverage in the hand as this thing is pretty tiny.

IMG_2514.jpg

UPK-T1 Rocket Tool

This is one I stumbled upon from looking at the upcoming Blade Show info in Salt Lake.

upk-t1-rocket-tool-billet-790912.jpg

Hardened and Cryo'ed 154CM for $30 in billet form with cast being $15. Their labor day sale is still active too!

I thought I would follow up on this one. I find it is working VERY WELL for me as an easy to grab 'handle' for my keys and disappears in my pocket similar to a ballpoint pen.

At $30, it is a little spendy but, I get a lot of use out of it and, the hollowed-out nature of it makes it lightweight while still providing good leverage for prying. It has also been used to open non-twist top beer bottles at unexpected locations!

I basically forget it is in my pocket until I need it! With all the keys on it for various locks (not a janitor keyring though ;)), probably not a good choice for use in a pair of Dockers or dress slacks.

Just picked up a PDW Balisong off the exchange. Thought the PDW prybar looked cool too. I was surprised to see it retails for $60 considering the prices of most Prometheus Design Werx stuff.

0D743D7A-9D8D-4817-B770-E57393A79C4F.jpeg

*Borrowed pic from forum since I don’t have in hand yet

I used this guy to open a Warsteiner today but that's it. Since relieving the cap space, it's a great bottle opener.

jsdpxOt.jpg

I can't see spending big bucks on a fancy keychain pry bar. I carry a Nite Ize pry bar / bottle opener / nut wrench / screw driver, which I picked up for less than $5 at a big box hardware store. At that price it's worth it's keep. I use it occasionally to pry or open a bottle. The bottle opener on it could use some improvement, but for the usage frequency it's acceptable.

nite-ize-key-accessories-kmt-11-r3-64_1000.jpg
This is the one I settled on as well; still can be had for around $5. I don't carry it unless I'm flying somewhere and don't have a knife. It's better than nothing.

I have a SS Atwood pry bar with a curved tip, covered by a supplied thick piece of rubber tubing, to prevent the sharp tines fro snagging or cutting clothing. I’ve never used it. But I still haven’t parted with it. I also own a COP TOOL, which is a it lighter and has more uses. Both about 5-6”” long , very robust and heavy, for what they are. Both bought many years ago for a high value , small urban E&E / GHB , I was planning. Neither made the cut as I shortly discovered a 12” Titanium Nail Puller bar which was very much lighter , just about as strong and afforded much greater leverage. It was expensive and I finally justified it to myself as I purchased it on sale, so it was in the same price range of the other two tools. I carry the Ti bar in some applications in my small survival backpack. The COP TOOL was placed in an inexpensive nylon flap closed, belt sheath. Sometimes carried next to my sheathed Gerber LMF II knife, both on my belt. Especially when I go exploring with my archeologist cousin.

Last edited:
Obeiq2u.jpeg

Well - I took one more shot at it and got this mini prybar from Big Idea. Not going to pretend like it actually is going to pry anything but to be like ”steel finger nail” to bend, scratch and scrape things if necessary. Small enough not to bother me in the keychain. It doesn’t have much to hold to but seems to grasp flat and cross headed screws if you need to adjust them just a little bit.

Well - I took one more shot at it and got this mini prybar from Big Idea. Not going to pretend like it actually is going to pry anything but to be like ”steel finger nail” to bend, scratch and scrape things if necessary. Small enough not to bother me in the keychain. It doesn’t have much to hold to but seems to grasp flat and cross headed screws if you need to adjust them just a little bit.

Sometimes, this is exactly the thing in need. While I also use my larger pocket pry tools, I've also used little ones like this for an important job: accessing the nail nicks on my multi-tools.

It doesn't happen to everyone but for all the young people out there, know that your finger nails might not always be as strong as they are today. 😜

Back