Recommendation? Quality yet affordable jian suggestions

Lots of choices out there in the lower end of the spectrum (up to $350 or so), but I recently got the bug to get one and I've been researching like crazy. Kinda have it narrowed down, but I thought I'd toss it out there and see what people who've actually handled them think. I'm interested in a cutting jian, full tang and secure with decent fittings. Can be folded, can be mono, I'm not picky about that, but it can't fall apart - that I AM picky about. The TFW and BCI look nice but a bit out of my price range.

I've read different reports about different brands, assuming I can find one in stock. The Practical Hanwei's have zinc fittings, which is a deal breaker for me. The Jkoos SAY full tang, but I've read the handles are hollow and the pins that secure them are thin (and hidden, unlike the replaceable ones in a katana), so if the pins snap, you have a blender, not a sword (and a lot of epoxying to do). Quality control seems to be an issue whoever you order from, but I sort of have it narrowed down to these:

• Iron Tiger Forge - Lion Dog jian ($235 + $40? shipping) has cast metal fittings too, but I recently saw pics of the tang and they seem well constructed.
• LK Chen Gale Wind ($290 + $65 shipping) - The bright blue handle wrap is a bit much, but Scott Rodell said it was worth it, so who am I to argue? And since I'm name dropping,
• Seven Stars - Cutting Jian ($295 + $20 shipping), designed by the man himself (no, not Chuck Norris!) made by Hanwei. Has the hex nut in the pommel like the Hanwei Tinker Pearce swords.
Looks good and for cheaper than the LK Chen I'm thinking I might jump, but then there's
• Cold Steel Gim - ($238 shipping included) I like the look of the wood and it's quite a bit cheaper then the Chen or the Rodell.

Anyone have some experience with any of these?

Last edited:
I have seen positive reviews of the LK Chen line by people I respect, though I have no experience with them myself.

I have held a Cold Steel Gim and it just felt wrong, both handle and weight distribution. I have heard that these are a hit or miss in the QC department and mine was from a third party.

Yeah, the whole QC aspect kills a bunch of the options, especially the Cold Steel. Never know what you're gonna get. One of the main reasons I'd prefer to buy used...let someone else take a chance and deal with returns or repairs and then buy it cheaper as well ....but these don't come up for sale very often.
I'd love to go with the Rodell but I just saw a 3rd review that said it keeps coming loose at the pommel and you have to use Locktite which defeats the purpose of being able to adjust it.
I think the LK Chen will be the way to go. I'd love to get one used, but that probably won't happen.

I have a Cold Steel Jian from 15 or so years ago, and it's super heavy for a jian. There is hardly any distal taper, making it point heavy and gives it handling like a crowbar. Also from a long time ago, I have a Hanwei Paul Chen Jian. At the time they had the practical jian and this one, which was a step up in hilt quality but with basically the same blade. It's light, handles extremely well, and you could write your name on paper with the tip if you wanted. My one complaint with it is that I stored the sheath separately, flat and in a pretty safe environment for it, and it warped like a banana; the grain was off, that piece of wood shouldn't have been used. If you can get over the zinc thing, Hanwei makes a pretty decent sword for the money.

I have a buddy who lives in VA maybe an hour away from the Seven Stars facility where they make the Scott Rodell jian (at least, that's what it says on the website). I may ask him to swing by there and see if he can pick up a used one for cheap. Shipping is only $20 so if they don't have one, I'm thinking I'll just order it. Loctite isn't tough to apply and I'm not going to be swinging for the fences with it. The LK Chen ships from China and though the sword is about the same price, the shipping is almost $70 and says it won't get here until April. Plus I prefer the handle on the Rodell (the wrapping color, that is...some say it's larger/longer than it needs to be, but if it offsets the p.o.b. better I'm ok with it). So, yeah, I'm flip flopping like a wushu blade!

Back