Rat 6, pretty dang good.

Rat 6...well I got one. Here is what I learned about it. And well putting it here as a last hurrah I guess for a product I grew to really like. And its an FFG blade I KNOWINGLY got to boot! (People who know of my whining about FFG blades will understand that one.)

The sheath is <INSERT A UBER WORDY STUFFED 1 MILLION PAGE UBER DESCRIPTION HERE> functional, but for woodsy stuff I grab one of my older RD6 ones and plopped it in one for the folder for thingies or folder knife in the pouch for field animal murdering trips. But for what it is, its a good sheath in its own right.

Blade use, about as much and hard as I use the RAT7 for. Not the heavy abuse use of an RD line, but good enough it seems. Chopping limited for its blade profile and standard FFG limitations and lighter weight. But it can be done, but I didn't get this knife for uber choppering and tree murdering. I got other bigger blades for that.

For game and camp duty stuff, it seems to do pretty dang well. Its a non coated blade so its good to go for food duties. (I always rub 91% alchie on it though before any food cutterizing). It works good on fish you "harvest" (See no mention or torturing of when you "Play" the fish on your line before you murder it for dinner!) from net or line. And for large critter cutting seasons it works well as well.

Bushy stuff...well the choil is nice for close in work, the handle is a good size to be able to handle things with the handle. Some would say "Its to Long!" or "To Big" for being a "TRUE BUSHY WHOOSHIE KNIFE!", but to those I say is just get the smaller and shorter less capable blade if you want one like that. Reason I got this model was the blade length for a more multi-tasking blade for use. But that's just for me it works out for.

Cons many will whine about is the edges can be pretty dang sharp on the spine or even choil area. But I can live with that, and fire steel it makes a big spark throwing machine. When I got mine, its sharpness wasn't super uber duber sharp, but one honing with my Razor Edge Rat Trap Honer, it came out pretty dang sharp!

The Rat 6 is just a good S35VN general purpose knife. I Didn't get the Black Bird was because I wanted a thicker and more durable knife that can work out of its size class if needed. And it seems to be able to do that. Yes I tested its Froing (Batactitoning Tyrannical Botanicals!) capability and it works find for being an FFG blade. For me the RAT 6 is a good light to medium duty blade (Some call my medium duty as hard duty) that can do decent knife duties with all tasks given it to it.

Now then, the cost for an S35N knife is "high", but its a pretty good bargain for how much your getting and for the knife's capabilities. For me its a good compromise, even if its an FFG blade. For me all the parameters I got it for works. If you want some thing smaller or shorter, get it. Really for the cost, there are many other options out there that are more durable and more "Cost Effectiveness" of what I normally get a knife on, but I got this knife for its S35VN attributes while I could afford it and while they are still available. If I wanted a knife for heavy hard use in S35NV, I got one as my BK72 performs that job perfect (large critter cutting).

The one "Mod" I might do is swap one set of scales is to G-10 if blood and guts become an issue for the micarta scales if one becomes a dedicated butchering blade.

I liked the knife so much I blew the "other" S35VN blade budget on was ANOTHER RAT 6.

I got two pretty good knives with date on box Feb 23, OKC might of been hit and miss on some QC, so I ordered mine from a good general purpose knife site I frequent when I have no idea on who to trust. I had a bait and switch for an Ontario SS machete, and two fake gerberstrong arms on the big on line seller. That way I believe they would of taken them back if there was a severe quality issue.

I did Mod one of my RAT 6 and swapped TKC G-10 handles with liners on one of my Rat 6s. Dang good fit for a hunting knife.

***WARNING!! WARNING!! GRAMMER NATZIS' THIS FOLLOWSERING ISN'T A GOODERLY GRAMMERED POSTING!!**

Yep, good all rounder. But so are other OKC knives. I'm not one to like FFGs but for the good blade material for this I'll call this blade form pretty dang good. I knowingly got the second one instead of a 4" S35VN of another make. After large critter cutting season and now the deer cutting up season, its a decent form for that task. It can field dress decently, a 4" size or smaller is bester, but it works decently enough. I've seen the blade was patterned as a french kitchen blade and given a RATish form for a good size between the RAT 5 and RAT 7. Like the SP-50 and then later Woodsman really are kitchen Butcher Knife patterns, but they work dang good though, most of the 420HC (OKC's blend that is really dang tough!) I gave away never escape the kitchens. The "Evil Step Mother" (its tradition to call them that. And Traditions are important!) keeps it in her office to keep others from stealing the knife she stole from my old man I gave it to for his birth day. (One of her daughters eye balls it all the time) To make the most out of the metal they seemed to of used it for the best of the blade form. Like it narrows sooner more than a RAT 7 in 1075, but for the metal used its still a pretty decent production, it looks like they made the most of what they could do with the material used. Well it work for this blade. But remember the FULL TANG of S35VN under the scale handles. Also it slices pretty goodly enough. Not as good as the thickness of a 1/8th knife, but good enough. If you want a better slicer get the Black Bird in S35VN.

Cost wise...yeah there are other cheaper knives in other materials. But I got these two because I blew the scope budget on them since they might go bye for good. Like a few RD models I wanted to get it happened to. Like the RAK and TFI. And AFGHAN I wanted to get and ever could.

The RAT6 I won't use it as a heavy abuse knife like a 1075 can be used. (I came to realize they way I abuse knives, 1075 is better me over 1095), but using it like a normal knife that step up is good enough. The SP-51 or SP-10 are the great abuse blades. For heavy abuse SS I use the Gerber Strong Arm or my Woodsman. (I kept 2 SS ones for meself!) For doing Bushy stuff, this one can do it all.

Just be aware OKC can have a bit of an off grind as some people posted. The ones I got from KC, are all great grinds, and KC can be trusted to take them back. After being screwed a few times on a big online seller I went to a decent seller I can trust. Some say the "FIT AND FINISH AREN'T SUPER UBER THE BESTESTES EVER!". if you don't like that then don't get the knife. I got extra G-10 TKC handles mostly for when being used for big critter cutting seasons for the blood and gore all over the handles, they fit so great like crazy and very goodly so not changing the one I put them on. I still have another set of scales for the other one though. The Micarta handles are lighter and probably better for in the field when used for wilderhood stuff. And warmer to the touch in colder weather. I keep even he "Cheap" micarta on my RDs for this reason. Ihe RD9s I put TKC G-10 handles on, one had a cheap wood handle, the other had a cheap Orange G-10 handle. I might swap out some other RD micarta handles for them later, the TKC handles are great, but for its just personal taste.

Just some experiences I had recently and other uninvited comments.

Hmm... this thread needs pictures.

Thanks for your thoughts. Hopefully the new owners keep some of the newer designs around. I haven't kept up with the latest info about what the company plans to do with OKC.

My favorite OKC's are probably the TAK 1 and RTAK II. Had a 5 for a while but it cut poorly as new and I was too new to knives still to realize I could thin the edge grind instead if just making the stock edge sharper.

Pictures...I tried the secondary and other places and none worked so gave up on them.

TAK1, don't got one but its probably good. I use a CERBERUS (I got more than I needed but reluctant to give those knice ones away, so many uses I put them in the reserve packs) for my "SHORT" field knife besides an Armstrong.

RTAC II, I go one but for some reason it don't even do brush well, but then I think its the local brush type as even the OKC machetes I got seem to have hacking problems with that sort of brush. The FFG seems also to not be as well as my saber grind SP-10, 51 and 53s for my local woods. I'd of gotten a Jungualassy one, but the SP-5 and RD9s (Thick enough to act as a saber grind) and BK9s fill that role good enough. Most FFGs fail me for big use knives. For Froeing...aka Batoning, the saber grind acts as a wedge protecting the knife edge mostly as you Batactiton them Tyrannical Botanicals! Winter useage is when I use Froeing, having to shovel out an area to use an axe or even hatchet is a waste of time to me. (I USE A SAW TO CUT WOOD DOWN TO FROEING/BATONING SIZES, ALWAYS BRING A SAW WITH SPARE SAW BLADES!)

Pictures...I tried the secondary and other places and none worked so gave up on them.

TAK1, don't got one but its probably good. I use a CERBERUS (I got more than I needed but reluctant to give those knice ones away, so many uses I put them in the reserve packs) for my "SHORT" field knife besides an Armstrong.

RTAC II, I go one but for some reason it don't even do brush well, but then I think its the local brush type as even the OKC machetes I got seem to have hacking problems with that sort of brush. The FFG seems also to not be as well as my saber grind SP-10, 51 and 53s for my local woods. I'd of gotten a Jungualassy one, but the SP-5 and RD9s (Thick enough to act as a saber grind) and BK9s fill that role good enough. Most FFGs fail me for big use knives. For Froeing...aka Batoning, the saber grind acts as a wedge protecting the knife edge mostly as you Batactiton them Tyrannical Botanicals! Winter useage is when I use Froeing, having to shovel out an area to use an axe or even hatchet is a waste of time to me. (I USE A SAW TO CUT WOOD DOWN TO FROEING/BATONING SIZES, ALWAYS BRING A SAW WITH SPARE SAW BLADES!)

The RTAK II needed a thinner edge right out of the box, like most OKC's... and most knives in this style really.

The RTAK II needed a thinner edge right out of the box, like most OKC's... and most knives in this style really.

OK...I can see how that makes sense.

Thanks for that INFO! It really explains a lot to this ignoramus. 🤓

“FFG limitations” was all I needed to read.

Yep! But FFGs got their useful uses and places. Yeah this is coming from a Saber Grind Lover.

Like the RAT 6 as stated by the blathering OP stated before, for the RAT 6 is an FFG that makes a good "Affordable" S35VN big fixed blade that proved its usefulness to me. I'm going to strip the coating off my 1075 RAT 7 for large critter cutting duty, might put the G10 scales on it as well and tell the users to go wild using it. The trick is to make they don't sneak it in to be a kitchen knife like they tried to do my RAT 6. Man the Rat 6 sure can last doing the Large Critter Cutting duties. All it took was my Razor Edge Rat Trap Honer, with a few "passes" through it (yes it took a few more passes than the carbon steel blades) and it was back to duty. For a field game processing knife, its a literal hot knife through butter blade.

OK...I was looking in to getting another RAT 7... I gave my 1075 version away to my little brother who needed it more than I did...OK I got way to many RD6s an RD7s and RDNS7s that I think can out perform a RAT 7 in the USE ABUSE category so that one I gave away was just sitting around doing nothing and saw no reason to get another one. (NO! IT WASN'T GOING TO GO UNDER GLASS... (You know who you are when I say that... :p )). So I gave him that one and my 498m that I know he would use as both were are good to decent wilderhood knives. (498m has a straight solid spine with no false swedge making it a great $30 1095 wonder knife) Then remembering all the OKCs that "Got away" from me or the back ups I thought I could get later...like the AFGHAN, RAK, TFI... I went and got another RAT 6 instead. They seemed to of almost gone poof from the internyet at the common list price. But where I got my G-10 KC scales for my two RAT 6s I got one from there. This one is probably going to keep its original handles, considering where I got it from, a little irony for the steel there I thinked.

I had a chance to get a few another OKC and I got another RAT 6 before they all go bye bye. Its great for general knife stuff, step up to do bigger things and for food tasks as well. Yeah a good 420 HC can do the same thing for cheaper and probably tougher, but not having to sharpening so often in the field is priceless.

Well the 3rd RAT 6 came in. Its has a great grind, same old as posted earlier. Odd the one from TKC where one gets G-10 scales where I got it, I'm just going to keep the micarta ones on this one. I gave away the RAT 7 when I started getting my 6s, last one was because it was probably last chance to get one. I used one a lot since I got it, large critter cutting/hunting season made me get another one and G-10 handles for them. The blade size is better for me than a 4" one, its still in the compromise area for a good knife for me, but its pretty dang good the way it is. For larger SS FFG jobs the Woodsman comes out for useal and abusal tasks.

Handle Advice Choice with some experience tossed in there.

Well after handling after market handles and standard micarta ones on my RAT 6s, I have some experienced advice sort ofishly.

Standard Micarta Handles are lighter than TKC G-10 handles, makes for a lighter to handle knife and give the micarta warmer feel, great for colder weather usage, to the handles and are a bit more grippier for grabbing and such. It is a good all round general purpose standard handle most won't find a reason to swap them out. The usual outing or use as a common purpose hunting or camp/food processing knife, the regular micarta handles work perfectly fine.

TKC G-10 handles fit the RAT 6 very well. They also are good for general usage and make the RAT 6 a bit more handle heavy, but also make the handles a bit more thinner to grip in your grasp of the knife young grasphopper. I found these handles were better to have and make the knife easier to clean when doing large volume critter cutting possessing or cutting a large critter up and also when being used for messy kitchen. Or just to have a better form fitting handles for a thinner fitting grip.

What ones do I have/use? BOTH! The one I got from TKC has the micarta scales I'm leaving on and is a perfect winter belt knife.

TKC is about the only place one still can get a RAT 6 at the regular place as well.

O.K.! I'm DONE WITH RAT 6s! Well ordering them that is. Decision was get one last OKC bayonet or a knife I know I'll use.

Yeah...flash backs of not getting the extra RAK, TFI, AFGHAN and several other SP-IIs thinking "Oh I'll get them when ever, they will be there still, right?" And then they disappeared. I got my RD Tantos just in time...talk about your literal tank mid sized knife!

That will get me a total of 2 with G-10 handles and two with original micarta handles. One goes in to reserve, one stays in the car (For large critter cutting and fish from nets trimming), one stays on the hunting/fishing pack (my wilderhood pack) and the other serves in the kitchen so I can keep my finesse up with it. The micarta handles are the reserve and car knives.

I been watching TKC and saw they still had them at their original cost and got my last one. Funny thing is the ones staying micarta handled will be the ones I got from there.

My one last OKC knife probably will be the SPL dive knife, so dang handy.

On a side note to note so no one can't say I didn't notify them so they can't say they didn't notice this note: Yes the Black Bird in SV35Nor what ever knife would be better for slicing and dicing, if want one for that, get one.

And another Note to note you note noticers: Yes the price is high for a mere knife, my advice get one if you want, if you don't then don't. If you want a good heavy use SS knife, I suggest get the last of the OKC 420 HC knives. OKC made a perfectly good in house formulated and strong 420 HC when they were around.

Back