Rat II D2 Blade Tip Clearance

I saw this thread a while back, but decided to go ahead and order a RAT II, in D2, last week. I'm usually up for a challenge, and thought I might be able to fix this issue, if necessary.

Well sure enough, the knife I received yesterday, needed a little love. It wasn't too bad, but if you pressed your finger against the end of the scales, you could feel the tip of the blade. So, I quickly broke out the coarse, DMT diamond plate, and went to work. I managed to angle the tip of the blade downward a little by grinding on the spine side of the tip. That left a little bit of an angled "hump" on the spine of the blade so I smoothed it out to match the original profile of the spine. Then I smoothed out everything with the Spyderco medium, and fine ceramic, stones. It only took about 15 minutes, and I think the result is a nice looking, and safe (when closed) blade. I also removed the clip (they just don't work for me), and, even though it was pretty sharp from the factory, I gave it a good sharpening on the KME system.

I'm quite pleased with the knife now, and I think it may become my new EDC...at least for a while.

Last edited:
They are a nice knife T Triple_D
Mine wasn’t bad but i’ll check again and if to air on the cautious side at least i know what i can do thanks to you. 👍🏻

Back