• I like me some belts

Votes: 25 96.2%
  • I don't wear pants

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
See? Someone who understands!
CharmingJampackedGosling-max-1mb.gif

😆

My own personal belt is seven holes at 3/4" centers. It does make a difference. While I seldom carry IWB, even with OWB different guns/holsters need differing amounts of real estate Bad luck to have an even amount of holes too, always an odd number.

Good deal on the burnisher. It makes a difference. Nichole on her burnisher often can get a better edge then I can out in the shop on those buff belts. Last couple I've made I've come in and used the burnisher. I've found that just plain water probably gives me the best edge on buff for me with just a hint of paraffin on my rubbing stick. I use a rosewood turned stick on a lathe in the shop. On straps for my rifle scabbards which are buff but not lined, I'll literally submerge the whole strap prior to burnishing. After burnishing I've gone to giving just the edge two coats of BagKote. I feel that it makes that nice edge last longer.

Yeah thats the way to do it. Pick it up and save on shipping. We're only a couple of hours from their home base so we'll go and pick stuff up. They'll have it built and purring for ya, show ya how to use it and load it and tie er down for ya. Good outfit. Plus ya get to see Thor.
Burnishing is tricky business for sure, still trying to figure out, thanks for the tips and kind words. Yeah Thor is quite the dog, crazy eyes that look right through you! We stopped by there once and they gave me a run through of the Cobra 4, really good people.
John’s belts are pretty awesome guys!!! You’re NOT going to be disappointed!

I have one in brown, and one in black. (ETA - in fact, I believe the first pic on the blue truck is one of mine…) One gets worn every day. They have proven to be even sturdier than my Beltman gun belts! 😎

ETA2 - Here‘s my black one…

View attachment 2078017
So glad to hear that Jared! Thanks for posting that brother.

There's a ton of ways to do this layout, I'm liking this route. Just finished stitching this one up. I need to stitch the one in black with black and gray thread, get them burnished up and they'll be off to the Great White North.

Brown with tan thread I'm calling the "Big Country" after my favorite western.
20230219_170244-01.jpeg

There's a ton of ways to do this layout, I'm liking this route. Just finished stitching this one up. I need to stitch the one in black with black and gray thread, get them burnished up and they'll be off to the Great White North.

View attachment 2089238

Good name for the pattern.

May I suggest “City Slicker” for the black with black and gray like mine? ;)

Good name for the pattern.

May I suggest “City Slicker” for the black with black and gray like mine? ;)
Ohhh that's a good one. I was thinking "High Noon" since Gary Cooper was a reluctant gunslinger but did what he knew was right. "City Slicker" is a good fit though. I need to watch that with the kids, they'd love that movie.

Ohhh that's a good one. I was thinking "High Noon" since Gary Cooper was a reluctant gunslinger but did what he knew was right. "City Slicker" is a good fit though. I need to watch that with the kids, they'd love that movie.

We watched it one evening fairly recently. Lots of groans and :rolleyes: from the kids lol. :D

We watched it one evening fairly recently. Lots of groans and :rolleyes: from the kids lol. :D

Thats where Mitchy The Kid got his name! Here he is Saturday evening watching his dad, Call Me Mitch, win the Nation Rein Cowhorse Assoc (NRCHA) Worlds Greatest Horseman contest in Ft Worth.

Z490nlz.jpg

We finished feeding and went in to watch the rest of the competition live streamed on the big screen. We was yelling and screaming like your team just won the Super Bowl when Call Me Mitch won. 78 horses and riders entered the week long event. Top 16 come back for the finals on Sat and starting with a clean slate of zero points. Four events and cumulative high score wins. Herd Work (cutting), Steer Stopping (roping), Rein Work (reining) and Cow Work (down the fence). Not only did Call Me Mitch win by having the high score but he also won two of the four events outright and was second in the other two. "Mitchy" will be one year old on Mar 6th

"Ya know Curly said, there's nothing like bring in the herd." Bringing in Jack Palance's herd some years ago:

0aJIZUl.jpg

Nichole, my wife on the far right and I'm second from the right next to her. Branding Jack' calves. Nichole waiting for the ground crew to be ready for another one.

KLW2CR6.jpg

View attachment 2089238
Love that stitching on The Big Country!

That's cool, Jack Palance did some great westerns. Cooky but true story: I had sleep paralysis once and a shadow built like Jack wearing a big brimmed hat and a smaller, hatless shadow paid me a visit. Their conversation ended with "We'll take the other one" and they left. Many years later I heard about the "Hat Man", I guess it's a thing.
hat-man.jpg

Wait, what were we talking about? Oh yeah belts, about to stitch up the City Slicker.

That's cool, Jack Palance did some great westerns. Cooky but true story: I had sleep paralysis once and a shadow built like Jack wearing a big brimmed hat and a smaller, hatless shadow paid me a visit. Their conversation ended with "We'll take the other one" and they left. Many years later I heard about the "Hat Man", I guess it's a thing.
hat-man.jpg

Wait, what were we talking about? Oh yeah belts, about to stitch up the City Slicker.

That's a pretty good yahoo! Just like in Red River.

Jack just oozed evil there in Shane! Ya guys getting that big storm too? They’re predicting 42” of wintery mix from Wed to Wed!
He was great in Shane, that's a good movie I haven't seen in forever. We got a couple of inches this morning, supposed to get a few more inches and some subzero weather over the next couple of days.

Since this shot, the buckle bends are formed, Chicago screws installed and the keepers are almost done.
20230220_182711-01.jpeg

Kudos to Dave and other belt makers out there, you'd be surprised by all of the little details thst need figured out as you go along making a belt like this. I'd like for these to be the kind of work that says quality the moment you pick it up.

Since this shot, the buckle bends are formed, Chicago screws installed and the keepers are almost done.
View attachment 2090469

Kudos to Dave and other belt makers out there, you'd be surprised by all of the little details thst need figured out as you go along making a belt like this. I'd like for these to be the kind of work that says quality the moment you pick it up.
They look great! They really do.
They look like quality. And you are right the devil is in the details. Ya know the trick bout tying the thread together to change colors on the big 4 right?

Hot off the presses, came across the wires late yesterday afternoon. Call Me Mitch (Mitchy's dad), is officially now the highest money earning, (most prize money won), horse of all time in NRCHA history. $150,000 paycheck just for this deal. And the composite score he and his rider trainer Phillip Ralls set Saturday night is also a new official high score for The Worlds Greatest Horseman Event. High 800s usually wins it and they scored a 902. Here's a lil compilation vid of their four events:

Sometime back we quit lining the belt from tip to tip. Nowadays we stop just before the tongue slot at the buckle end. Oft times folks seem to want to change out buckles (lots of trophy buckles in our customer base) and sometimes the two layers was just too thick to work with every buckle. Haven't had any problems since we made the switch. We also always use Chicago screws as the fasteners for the same reason, so folks can change buckles if they want too.

They look great! They really do.
They look like quality. And you are right the devil is in the details. Ya know the trick bout tying the thread together to change colors on the big 4 right?

Hot off the presses, came across the wires late yesterday afternoon. Call Me Mitch (Mitchy's dad), is officially now the highest money earning, (most prize money won), horse of all time in NRCHA history. $150,000 paycheck just for this deal. And the composite score he and his rider trainer Phillip Ralls set Saturday night is also a new official high score for The Worlds Greatest Horseman Event. High 800s usually wins it and they scored a 902. Here's a lil compilation vid of their four events:

Sometime back we quit lining the belt from tip to tip. Nowadays we stop just before the tongue slot at the buckle end. Oft times folks seem to want to change out buckles (lots of trophy buckles in our customer base) and sometimes the two layers was just too thick to work with every buckle. Haven't had any problems since we made the switch. We also always use Chicago screws as the fasteners for the same reason, so folks can change buckles if they want too.
Great advice Dave, stopping that liner short of the bend makes total sense, I've been skiving the hell out of things at the slot but it's still a lot of leather to bend with the lining there.

Keepers are done, some last minute finishing and these will be ready to go.

Further apart with thicker keepers as well, thanks for the feedback on that!
👍 The keeper on my brown one (worn most days at work) is holding up alright so far.

Great advice Dave, stopping that liner short of the bend makes total sense, I've been skiving the hell out of things at the slot but it's still a lot of leather to bend with the lining there.
Beltman does the same thing Dave recommends. Didn't realize that until I looked. That said, I kinda like the robustness of the double thickness, even if it's unnecessary.

Back