Remember When: Busse Micarta Options

Nismo17

Gold Member
Busse had the most beautiful micarta handle options back in the day.

Curious if these were these designed manufactured in house or designed and and manufactured at a different facility.

We know Jerry says some of these are almost impossible to replicate.

I would pee my pants if we had green linen or maybe a new idea (tequila sunrise micarta) become some level of an option.

👉ARCHIVE LINK

IMG_0494.jpeg

That green linen IS awesome! Never seen that before! Really liking that Tigerstripe on the Fusion Magnum handle as well! Hard to pick a favorite between those two.

For a classic look, that desert tan is just perfect. 👌

Would love to see a come back of some of these!

Last edited:
Sure do. I always preferred standard handles.

A lot cleaner aesthetically, and less bulky. The top down profile also looked a lot cooler in thicker knives because the thinner handles helped accentuate actual blades stock thickness.

Like this
View attachment 2563932

I wish my AFBM had them. The magnums just feel weird in the hand to me.

I’ve always thought the idea that customers would pay significantly more for colorful plastic handles on their knives was marketing genius. Can’t argue with it—obviously it’s true—but the concept still makes me shake my head and chuckle.

Last edited:
Well.. luckily Busse does not use plastic for handle material.

Sure they do. Micarta is a composite of fabric in a thermosetting plastic. It’s…plastic. Great stuff. 👍

Last edited:
Thats fine, but referring to micarta as plastic can be misleading.

It’s like calling a bowl of prepared cereal just a bowl of milk.

🙂
Hey, man. I’m not criticizing micarta. It’s amazing stuff and makes amazing knife handles.

I just would not have thought in a million years we’d be (enthusiastically) paying significant extra dollars because someone offered to sell us a different colored handle on an arguably no-nonsense knife. The point of my original post was that I would have been very wrong about that. I think that’s pretty funny. And I think Jerry’s a genius for figuring that out.

Last edited:
I recall reading here that Garth has dabbled with making composites in-house, but AFAIK all those options were purchased materials.

The lore holds that Snakeskin was a unique lot, never to be duplicated.

Some other makers offer dozens of scale materials on any given model. If Busse limits the choices, that is almost certainly a business decision to reduce complexity in manufacturing. So it goes.

🙂
Hey, man. I’m not criticizing micarta. It’s amazing stuff and makes amazing knife handles.

I just would not have thought in a million years we’d be (enthusiastically) paying significant extra dollars because someone offered to sell us a different colored handle on an arguably no-nonsense knife. The point of my original post was that I would have been very wrong about that. I think that’s pretty funny. And I think Jerry’s a genius for figuring that out.

All good. Appreciate the feedback. We’re all here for a reason, and like interests.

I can appreciate the creativity of Jerry experimenting with different layers and types of Micarta to create one’s own vision regardless of marketing strategy.

Either way, I think some of the colors used with certain handle textures look bad ass. Had several types of green linen on different models, and each has its own characteristic based on how the handle is milled out and batch variation. Also cool to see how some of these age and patina, almost like a fine wine lol

I remember when your Busse handle choice was usually black canvas micarta (that looked slightly greenish), sometimes tan canvas micarta, and once in awhile black paper micarta (LE only?). We're spoiled these days! 😃

Back