Reprofiling a blade what does that mean?

What exactly does a blade reprofiling mean?

Does that mean that the blade is reground at a different angle?

I have heard this term used in conjunction with the tracker knives but I
haven't heard an explanation for what that means.

It does have to do with the blades edge but it can also be associated with the way it comes to a point, or the length of the blade or the swedge, and shape of it too.

I think when someone refers to reprofiling a blade they most often are talking about the edge and the angle. For example to reprofile a chisel grind knife into a conventional edge or something like that.

Yeah, most common usage is when referring to changing the angle the edge is sharpened at by a large amount. Say you have a bad factory edge 90 degrees, very thick and can't cut well. You might want to reprofile that to 20 or 40 degrees. The reprofiling step is when you (preferably) use a coarse, fast cutting hone to establish a new, better performing edge angle.

It's occasionally used to refer to changing the geometry of a point due to damage or in order to change the way it performs (penetration, prying strenth).

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294910&highlight=bevel
1st read that thread.
2nd Reprofiling does not necessarily mean putting a different angle on your knife. What it means (I'm pretty sure) is putting a new primary bevel on your knife, because you've sharpened it to the point where the secondary bevel has gotten pretty big and your knife needs it's edge refreshed. That way you'll have a narrower edge (2nd bevel) to sharpen, making it much easier to sharpen.

The above posts pretty much explain but i'll add my 2 cents. If you were to reprofile the blade or primary grind, you would have to have the equipment such as a belt grinder to do it. I think when people talk about reprofiling, they mean the edge. That would be the seconary bevel or edge grind. I reprofile all my edges on knives that I own with a convex or appleseed edge.
Scott

Back