Off Topic Repurposed a cheap Cold Steel to light food duty and I honestly enjoy it more now

Bought a CS Canadian Belt Knife years ago on impulse and I honestly didn’t use it a lot. The sheath is really basic, the handle feels very plasticky, and the 4116 steel is nothing to write home about. Intended that pupper to be a cheap fixed blade EDC but it just didn’t work out.

Just recently, I thought to use it as a light duty food knife (since there was a disturbing shortage of dining knives in the house) and it’s honestly not terrible for it. Obviously, it’s not my choice for chopping vegetables or frozen meat. But cutting up cooked chicken, cake, etc., was no problem and pretty enjoyable. I guess a found a new steak knife or something.

Ever gave an impulse purchase a ‘second life’ I guess? Maybe you intended it as a camp knife or work knife but found an entirely different job for the knife instead.

I keep a dedicated Mora in the kitchen drawer for this purpose. I got very aggressive with the stone and really worked it to as zero of a scandi edge as I could. It's the knife I grab to prep garnishes or butterfly chops.

I never cared for 4116, but as a kitchen beater I think it makes a great choice 👍

The top one with the black rubber handle is the one I use 90% of the time in the kitchen. It’s a USA made Buck, hunting/skinning knife, and very inexpensive, so I bought it on a whim for free shipping on a purchase. Didn’t need it and didn’t use it much so I put it to use in the kitchen. It works great, probably better than most of the other kitchen knives we have. I like it so much that I recently order another one and the longer blade version as well.
0301013-C-4-C20-4-D68-82-F0-A71299-A57-FE8.jpg

4116 or something very close is probably what most commercial kitchen knife makers use. It's not bad stuff, really; our Henckels have held up great after several decades and thousands of dishwashers cleanings. Kinda like your basic Chevy or Ford, nothing spectacular but they work.

4116 or something very close is probably what most commercial kitchen knife makers use. It's not bad stuff, really; our Henckels have held up great after several decades and thousands of dishwashers cleanings. Kinda like your basic Chevy or Ford, nothing spectacular but they work.
Liking it so far as a light duty food knife. The CS Canadian Belt Knife in particular doesn’t have the best grind type for optimal slicing I suppose. It’s a not-so-sexy saber grind; a full flat grind would have been nicer lol.

But yeah, the 4116 hasn’t been terrible at all so far. I’m just happy to find a use for a knife that sat ignored for a while. 😄

Back