Request: BM Pinnacle vs CRK Sebenza Review

I realize these knives are not in the same price class, but they both seem to be well-made knives with similar designs and made from similar materials. It would be wonderful if someone who has owned and used both could give us a rundown on how they match up.

--Bob Q

Threads I've read suggest that you get 70% to 95% of the function, @ 1/3 or less the cost of the Sebenza when you buy the Pinnacle. As a diehard CRKT fan, I can't help but wonder about the S-2. It too is titanium, with a frame lock. And now, we have the Camillus EDC, with steel handles and frame lock.

A couple things make little sense to me. One is the way Sebenza fans rave about the heat treat on BG-42 steel and poo-pooh BM's treatment of ATS-34. Kind of apples and oranges. It very well may be that the BG-42 is the superior steel, but am not sure how BM comes in for their heat treatment of an "inferior" steel.

Along the same lines, the rabid BM fans are no less enthusiastic about their favorite, when comparing to Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, et al. So, maybe BM does a fine job of heat treating their steel. One thing is for sure, I'd rather have BM's gross sales than those of CRK.

A great deal of it is simply a matter of taste. Of course, it is important to many people to be able to say they have the best. I still remember with great hilarity the days when Lexus hit the market. Some of the car mags basically said the Lexus was a better car, in terms of quality, than the MBenzes. For several years there, I know that owner satisfaction of the Lexus crowd was far ahead of MB.

I would pay considerable attention to the problem some owners/customers have with the clip of the Pinnacle and it's proximity to the lock bar. That sounds plain dangerous.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

I appreciate the various perspectives. I'm not in a position to pay for a Sebenza yet, but that may eventually change.
smile.gif

--Bob Q

Back