Saving the SAK!

A perfect dirty deeds blade is the ten dollar 8CR13mov liner lock flipper from Harbor Freight by Gordon that's labeled 3.6" but is really 3".

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do
Or do without.

Zieg
Having said this, the one thing I do look out for with my SAKs is tape goo. After a lot of use around boxes I've had to use some sort of solvent to get adhesive out of the joints. But I don't run into this nearly as often as when I was in a warehouse.

Zieg

I've discovered a fantastic dirty deeds knife...the Milwauke 6 in 1 folding utility knife. I don't have this clipped on me at all times...only if I know I'll be doing some house work. Easily replaceable utility blade plus it holds one in the handle. A really useable screwdriver with a #2 Phillips and a slotted 1/4' bit. Clip it to your pocket when its a house repair kind of day, otherwise it sits next to my recycle container to tear down those amazon boxes. $20 at Home Depot.

Gerber EAB and Ron's Utility knife (Screwpop) both with DeWALT carbide blades, have taken over for the pocket knives I used to carry. Started as an experiment and haven’t found any reason to go back. Alox Classic on the keys and one of the other in pocket or clipped to my wallet. The Screwpop is a really cool design. I always think that if the back end had some sort of pry bar/ driver that would be helpful, but at the same time its simplicity is the draw.

Last edited:
Not a SAK, but I carried an old SOG Flash 2 for many years to keep my SOG Powerlock blade like new.

Beat that Flash 2 like a red headed step child and it took it.

My beater now is a Spyderco PM3 LW so I can keep my Arc Magnecut blade nice.

Gerber EAB lite for me. I use it in a dirty grind/welding shop. I put some grip tape on the clip and bottom of the front side so I can grab it easily from my work apron pocket and wrist flick it open. I get as many blades as I need from the maintenance guys👍

On the contrary, the SAK is my dirty deeds knife.

Myself as well, not that I dont love them, just that they are about the easyest knife to sharpen, so if you've got to dull one up it may as well be your SAK. About the worst job I routinely use mine for is digging big tangles of fishooks and line out of the lakes and rivers around my home. Spring time, or whenever else the water is low and half clear-ish, I'm out looking for treasure... cutting out tangles of heavily sand/ mud impregnated braided line will do an absolute number on a blade, never mind if you accidently try to slice a wire leader.

That said, it dont take long to get that edge back on a SAK, and I havnt needed to purchase any tackle for about 5 years.

Knives get used. That's what they're for. If you're worried about saving a particular knife for food processing, it's probably not a big deal because you're rarely very far from soap and running water. In the case of people who try to use one blade in their SAK while saving the other for food, pay closer attention to your tools. You'll notice that the blades touch when they are closed. You'll find the evidence in the form of scratch marks.

No "dirty-deeds knife" here, but I do have a nice bottle of Goo-Gone just itching to make short work of whatever goop/gunk/sh*t may be stubbornly clinging to the blade(s). :)

Usually, dirty deeds are done (well) by the Classic. Most of them are well within the Classic's capabilities.

On the contrary, the SAK is my dirty deeds knife.

The Sak IS the dirty deeds knife, since there is a tool for everything and anything I have not yet been stranded.
I always have my reamer sharpened for boxes and tape

Same! My little SAK gets so dirty she makes me blush. ;)

Dirty deeds. Done dirt cheap.

I find, with so many SAKs laying around, that I mainly clean them when several are dirty. Or right after I use one for a particularly dirty job, then I might as well clean a few at the same time. Having package opener mods and serrated blades seem to keep me from doing general tape residue as often. I mainly use isopropyl for general cleaning/sterilization. Dish soap prior to food use unless unavailable.

i have a dirty deeds pen to use instead of the pens on the SAKS i have, that have Pens. I would hate to run out of ink and it be D.R.T ( dead right there )
its usually a space pen or a Paper Mate Ink Joy Quatro.

Back