Sirupate 14" - First Impressions

Performance grind will do you just fine for wood chopping :) it's still tough and suited for khukuri work, just not built in with insurance for rocks and nails and whatnot.
I prefer the thinner buttcap also. I find that it allows for a smoother and more organic shaping of the flare at the butt of the handle (less pointy, more curved). The downside is that it doesn't provide quite as much impact protection at the corners from drops.
If that's the case, I have to wonder what people use the heavy duty grind for.

I hope to see a review and what you think of the performance grind. Perhaps I'm too paranoid about thinking that it's a grind not suitable for chopping dryer wood or batoning.

Could you say why you prefer the thinner butt cap?
Hello BM , with the thinner style butt cap it is simply down to aesthetics and preferences for me . Regarding the grind for the Sirupate , it wont be getting used for any heavy chopping or battoning only light to medium use at most . I will certainly be writing a review as I did with my HSI .

I would describe the 3 grinds as:
Performance being purchased with sensible use in mind.
Standard being purchased with rough use and accidental misuse in mind.
And Heavy Duty being purchased with abuse and misuse in mind.

These 3 types of customers may not agree with each other but they're all important and it's good to have options available for them.

I'm not being a wise guy, but Andrew would you define sensible use vs rough use. I'd imagine abuse and misuse is probably being willing to sacrifice your Khukuri when it is the only tool available and you need to do something you normally wouldn't do with one like chopping up a bicycle or forcing a car door open beyond breaking glass, chopping up bricks and such. The first two seem to blend together for me.

A clear definition can be found on our grind types and warranties page with specific tasks listed. Another way of explaining it would be:
Imagine you're a person who has good experience with large knives in various settings including the outdoors. You have a good idea of how much a knife can take and what to expect of the geometry of the steel.
To this kind of person there are some tasks that they feel are a little risky. If they're the kind of person that wants the best performance in normal use avoids these tasks then a performance grind will be perfect. If they're the kind of person who is looking for a knife to perform well in normal use and regularly engage in these riskier tasks as well as having insurance against large mistakes and mis-swings then a standard is a good choice. If the customer is not particularly concerned about performance in normal use and is more focused on how well it will hold up in situations that they know are a bad idea then the HD is the choice for them.

A clear definition can be found on our grind types and warranties page with specific tasks listed. Another way of explaining it would be:
Imagine you're a person who has good experience with large knives in various settings including the outdoors. You have a good idea of how much a knife can take and what to expect of the geometry of the steel.
To this kind of person there are some tasks that they feel are a little risky. If they're the kind of person that wants the best performance in normal use avoids these tasks then a performance grind will be perfect. If they're the kind of person who is looking for a knife to perform well in normal use and regularly engage in these riskier tasks as well as having insurance against large mistakes and mis-swings then a standard is a good choice. If the customer is not particularly concerned about performance in normal use and is more focused on how well it will hold up in situations that they know are a bad idea then the HD is the choice for them.

I guess part of the issue is not knowing what constitutes "standard" until you have an item with that grind. Don't get me wrong, I love how well put together the website is and how much information is on there but, I think some things can only come with experiencing the product.

For me, I don't plan on going crazy with these. The most I will use these for is what you could call "green wood work" from thin stuff to thick stuff. I like a deep biter, but I don't want something that's going to roll if it hits a knot, even on some more dry wood. It would also be nice to know it could stand up to some batoning if needed to be more of a camp knife.

According to the website, the PG would stand up to all that. I might need to take a leap of faith but it would be interesting to see how a Standard Mk1 would do pitted against a performance Siru. I wonder if its possible to amend my order if they haven't started yet?

Last edited:
I think a PG will be just fine for your needs, it's not going to roll if it hits a knot.
Note that the siruapate is naturally a bit less efficient due to the distinct bevel vs the blended bevel of the mk1. Biting performance could be similar between a standard mk1 and performance sirupate.
We can update your grind no worries- just confirm that you want it done and I'll inform the team.

I think a PG will be just fine for your needs, it's not going to roll if it hits a knot.
Note that the siruapate is naturally a bit less efficient due to the distinct bevel vs the blended bevel of the mk1. Biting performance could be similar between a standard mk1 and performance sirupate.
We can update your grind no worries- just confirm that you want it done and I'll inform the team.
Message sent. I'm amazed how accommodating Kailash is. I've never had options like this so, I've never thought about most of these things before.

Back