SOG Switchplier: initial impressions.

I should preface this by stating that I am not a heavy-duty user of multi-tools, and I selected this one based on the desire for a multitool that was relatively light and compact, and easy to use.

For anyone unfamiliar with it, the pliers pop into the open position when you push the button. Also, the tools in the handle lock into position. The black main body in aluminum, while the other handle (marked with rulers on both sides) is steel. It weighs about 5 oz, and it comes with a rather nice sheath.

<center>
fe9e7e38.jpg.orig.jpg
</center>

Here are some of my crummy shots of the Switchplier. The sheath is actually black cordura not grey, and has a long clip. You can see the opening in the steel arm where the plier head goes through, and a close up of the lock for the small tools.

<center>
fe9e7e36.jpg.orig.jpg
</center>

Opening some of the small tools: the knife and the 1/4" drive. The great thing about the locking tools, is that once you lock one of the tools into position, you close the steel handle again which effectively locks the tool from the other side too (since you are holding it shut while using it). While it is advertised with a como edge blade, mine came with a plain one. According to SOG most will come with the combo edge. Here also is the standard 1/4" drive in action. The Switchplier doesn't come with any accessories for this.

I am given to understand that the locking tools that fit SOG's Powerlock will also work on the Switchplier. My only complaint against the Switchplier is the lack of a phillips-head screwdriver, but if I can get a tool replacement kit for the Powerlock, I should be all set.

<center>
fe9e7e34.jpg.orig.jpg
</center>

Opening the Switchplier of course is simple. Let the steel arm swing free, then push the button. The one-hand opening of the pliers is actually as practical as a one-hand opening knife, and not just a novelty. It is fun though.
biggrin.gif

Carlos,

Thanks for the review, That thing has been on my list for a while now. I've been waiting for something to come up here.

How are the pliers? Do they feel/seem solid? How much wobble is there in the system when they are open and/or in use?

Your photos go a long way in showing the thing off. Much better than the product shot SOG has put out.

Mike

Hey Carlos...

I've had my Switch plier since November I think and I have used it quite a bit..

The sheath is pretty handy to use, and can be slipped on quickly and holds the pouch fairly secure..Quite a bit better than some of the pouches on the market...

As far as the plier goes itself,, it is a light duty tool, which springs into action nicely..It has never failed to open due to malfunction...

The spring action has a definate "Cool" factor, it is my sons favorite and my cub pack always wants to have a look at it and flip it out a couple of times..

The only problem I have is with the 1/4" bit driver.
As far as I'm concerned its a waste of space and could have been thought out a little better..
I would have rather seen a pair of scissors or a saw in it's place...

Anything other than the bit driver would make the tool much more useful.

There is no place to store bits,, so it is Highly doubtful that I would Ever use the bit driver.. If I have to carry bits somewhere else, I may as well carry a tool box..

All in all its a light duty tool which is handy and fun to have around,, but it's not my first choice in multi-tools..

ttyle

Eric.,..

------------------
On/Scene Tactical
Leading The Way In Quality Synthetic Sheathing

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MNH:
How are the pliers? Do they feel/seem solid? How much wobble is there in the system when they are open and/or in use?</font>

Hi Mike,

I agree with Eric that this is a light-duty tool, though there is no play or wobble either in the pliers or the locking tools. It is good to have around if you are not a heavy user of multitools, but it is not for the "tough" jobs.

I also agree with Eric that the 1/4" drive is a waste on a compact light-duty multitool. If I can get some more useful Powerlock components from SOG, I will replace it and a few others on the Switchplier.

[This message has been edited by Carlos (edited 04-22-2001).]

Hey Ron...

That's most Excellent...

I'll have to have a look at what tools are on there..

I'd be very interested in being able to mix and match eaily..

Now that was Well thought out..
smile.gif

Thanks Ron..

Eric...

------------------
On/Scene Tactical
Leading The Way In Quality Synthetic Sheathing

Thanks guys, appreciate the additional info. It would be nice if the plyers were heavy duty, but I don't think that will stop me from ordering one.
smile.gif

Ron,

Is this the opening act in a "design it yourself" multi-tool?

MNH

I can't say that I really like it, but I ended up with one anyhow. Automatic pliers are really cool, but it just won't hold up to the kind of stuff I do. There is very little play with the pliers open, but if you need much pressure to hold on to something, the handles flex a bit more than I am comfortable with. And the knife blade seems downright unsafe to me, with the smooth handles sloping down towards the open blade. Other than the cool factor, the file and clip sheath are the only things I really like about the Switchpliers. To be honest, I really prefer ther Gerber multi-tools, which are almost as fast with a slight flick of the wrist. Right now I'm using a Leatherman. By far, I think the Gerbers are best if you need a heavy-duty set of pliers, and the Leatherman is pretty good all around. I guess there IS one other thing about the Switchpliers... The handle is pretty comfy, unlike the Leatherman that leaves deep marks in your hand when you squeeze it real tight... <sigh> Maybe I should give up with the multi-tools and carry a tool box!

MNH: Dating back to the advent of the ParaTool about eight years ago (or so), our tools were designed to be disassembled for cleaning and being customized by the user. As we make a variety of components, it does give the user more options in their tool.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

Back