Some Pics

Heres a few images to look at:
http://home.netcom.com/~booshank/

The broken bladed one got that way from a drop of 1 ft onto carpet (I was sitting on the floor trying out an "opening") in 1985 or so.

The latch modifications represent attempts to keep the latch from hitting the blade as well as retaining some tension when latched shut. They all worked quite well although the wire spring versions are rather ungainly in appearance.

Booshank.. by FAR those are INDEED the most beatiful awesomest franken-balis I have ever seen. With your permission I woudl like to put those in an article on my webpage or link to your page if you wish. I would love to get you to write a review or short blurb on your thoughts, comments and all of the creation process if you have time.. thanks.

you even have a PC catalog.. I am envious! #GREEN#

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html
</A> If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

Sniperboy:

By all means feel free to use the images in an article on your site. Let me know if you need E-mailed jpegs or what not. Its probably better not to link to my site 'cause I'll probably only leave the pics up for a couple of weeks or so.
Thanks for the compliment too, I think I can write a short blurb about the modifications, etc. do you want it posted here or E-mailed to you for your site?

booshank@ix.netcom.com

I was lying in bed awake last night (too much Mountain Dew..) and was trying to think of the best way to make a latch protector... you know so it doesn't hit the blade... any way, I was excited to see your post today! If you would, could you give more detial on what you used for both version of your latch stopper? I am mainly interested in the neat looking one... with the screw in the handle.
Thanks!!!

by all means please post here for the benefit f yoru many fans which will soon come pouring out of he woodwork sir ^_^. Your designs are really sweet.. really got that 'cybernatic' feel to iin my opinion.. it'll give me incentive to work on my page.. bravo!

also i dunno how you broke your 68 from a low fot drop.. maybe it wasn't a drop but a forveful throw >_< nice collection sir especially that scimitar.. you have a history on that one youd like to share?

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html
</A> If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

It suddenly occured to me.. the technical fearless genius.. the red tissue paper.. and OFCOURSE the industrial grade metal warehouse sheet flooring that complements the crisp photogrpahy.. youre the owner of the franken-SIFU!!
eek.gif

------------------

Ok lets see, the latch is probably the weak link on the balisong design. To latch effectivly closed the handles must flex a little over the blade "kick" or choil and the spine. To latch effectively open the handles "flex" over the little blade stop pin (or whatever the thing is called). In either case latching won't last due to wear, impact etc. In the case of that broken Mod 68 (I can't keep track of the model #s) the handles put too much stress in the latched closed postition over two offset points on the spine and "kick"/choil. The short drop, and it really was just a drop, aggrevated a possibly already cracked blade. I've actually seen a couple more PC balisongs that gave way in the same manner.

Anyway, getting back to the latch, we all know that it also hits the blade. To alleviate all three latch related problems at once the handles themselves should be "sprung" at the point of latch up so that they don't need to flex--however minute the flex really is. In order to do that the smaller balis in the images have some spring wire (actually from an old umbrella) inserted through the smallest skeletonized holes on the latch handle that the blade edge does not reach. The wire is then bent back over the handle to form a sort of leaf spring for the opposing handle to impinge on. The spring is also bent in a direction to stop the latch from traveling beyond 90 or 180 degrees where it can hit the blade.

On the larger non-custom bali (whatever the #is) Benchmade tried to alleviate the latch-hitting-the-blade problem by lengthening the handles a bit. This only helped ruin an already dismal blade to handle length ratio. The actual cutting edge is a good 2" shorter than the handle length. Anyway in this case to fix the latching up problem I decided to spring load the latch itself instead of the handles, first by drilling out the latch retaining pin and then filing the latch retaining pin hole into an oval (didn't have a mill in those days). A hole down the back of the latch (parallel to the length of the latch) was drilled and tapped for a 4-40 set screw. Then the latch was put back on the handle and long 4-40 set screw was used as a retaing pin in case I needed to get the latch off again. A small spring and ball detent was placed down the latch hole and the set screw was put in place to act like a plug. So now the latch is spring loaded. When the handles are closed or open the latch must be pulled a bit over the corresponding handle for a tight latch up. A piece of scrap 6061 aluminum the interior width of the handles was shaped and screwed through the last large skeletonized hole in order to keep the latch from hitting the blade.
Benchmades new balisong looks like it has a similar solution to the problem.

The large Scimitar balisong was obtained through a friend in between PC and Benchmade years. I had it made w/the latch on the opposite handle than normal (manila style?) thinking that I wouldn't need to do much to keep it from hitting the blade. Instead its the only bali I've never really used 'cause it was too nice.

That covers most of it, of course if you wanna keep things simple you can always beat that little pin down when it wears out as a way of keeping the latch up tight and you can use a strategically placed drop of epoxy on the inside of latch handle to keep the blade from hitting the latch. Both those things work just as well although they're a bit more temporary.

Your right Sniperboy:

In fact I took the Sifu pictures down to put the balisong images up. The next step is for me to put a picture of my own 5" bladed integral lock folder at the site, that is if I can ever finish making it......

Booshank,

Nice work!

You should be quite an asset in here. Glad to have ya' aboard.

------------------
Clay
www.balisongxtreme.com
Because......
getting 'em open
is half the fun!

Guys,

On the first picture, what's the model # of the knife in the middle (the one with a 3" blade and chamfered holes)?

I've had one of those for more than 10 years, but I can't for the life of me remember its number...

Regards,

Leo Daher

------------------
"Though the meek shall inherit the Earth, they won't keep it past Saturday night..."

Back