Something different - Bushmaster XL

byrd687

Gold Member
Thought folks might enjoy something different and unique and also thought I’d extend a rather unique opportunity to fellow forum members.

This design was born out of frustration. No knife I owned or used fit perfectly my idea of a “large” bushcraft knife which was:
1. Heavy and Long enough to chop and baton effectively
2. Light and Small enough that I’d be likely to carry it with me and to be unobtrusive
3. Straight blade with no recurve for ease of maintenance and sharpening
4. Slim enough to perform more delicate tasks
5. Ergonomic grip (some makers seem to intentionally make grips as uncomfortable as possible)
6. Plain, common sense design, no bells, whistles, gadgets, sharp or square grips, outrageous gimmicks and frills, etc
7. 3V steel for toughness and edge maintenance

I had picked up a Koster Bushmaster on ebay a long time ago and was amazed at the steel, and the comfort of the grip. Investigating further, I read that Dan was amenable to custom orders in lots greater than 10 blades. I contacted Dan, and through multiple conversations, emails, drawings, and revisions, we decided on the design below.

Dan coined the name “bushmaster XL” and I thought it was fitting.

Plain, simple sheath, perfect for the intended application
E042B1C4F200.jpg.html]
CE55E08E-6F30-47D6-9973-9042B1C4F200.jpg
[/URL]

Sandwiched in between my first gen crafter, and a no-swedge muck

Essentially this is a bushmaster with a slightly deeper blade, similar primary grind angles (thus resulting in a saber grind) and a 7” blade. Each of the 10 blades has a unique handle/liner combo so not only is the knife itself a custom design, but each individual knife (at the time of this writing) is one-of-a-kind. No two knives share the same handle color/liner combo.

Performance of the blades outpaced my expectations. On my personal blade (green micarta/red liner), I rounded the top of the scales to fit my hand better, and convexed the edge. It exceeds all my expectations. Chops extremely well, excels at battoning and can still handle fine work. The grip is the standard bushmaster grip and has evolved slightly since the design I first held, but even that great grip was improved.

These will primarily go to friends, but I will have a few that aren’t spoken for. I’m going to offer a few here on the forum specifically on the Koster board. Unsure how many I’ll have to sell in the end, but this is the first step.

I only have two right now available:

Black Micarta/Orange liner
Green micarta/ orange liner

$425 each, net to me, price includes shipping to US addresses (roughly my cost).

First two “I’ll take it” gets them, also interested in a Koster folder, or Koster paring knife.

Reserve the right to not do business with anyone i so choose, etc.

Last edited:
Back