SP 5 - sheath problem

Hello Forum,

Just received SP5 today. But I found the sheath of SP5 is way longer than the blade. As an experienced OKC owner, I flip to the back of the sheath and check the label, it says "SP-53". So a SP53 sheath was shipped with my SP5 knife.

Please any SP5 owner check your sheath, is it a "SP5 sheath" or same "SP53 sheath" was shipped.

a “SP5 Sheath” picture with SP5 knife aside, will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Mr. bramley02- If you have not done so already please contact Ontario sales with your problem and they will address it.

Mr. bramley02- If you have not done so already please contact Ontario sales with your problem and they will address it.
Thank you Dan for your quick response. Email to OKC Sales has been sent. I base in Asia right now, hope OKC still able to get this issue covered. Thanks.

Hello Forum,

Just received SP5 today. But I found the sheath of SP5 is way longer than the blade. As an experienced OKC owner, I flip to the back of the sheath and check the label, it says "SP-53". So a SP53 sheath was shipped with my SP5 knife.

Please any SP5 owner check your sheath, is it a "SP5 sheath" or same "SP53 sheath" was shipped.

a “SP5 Sheath” picture with SP5 knife aside, will be appreciated.

This is common, unfortunately. I contacted knifecenter about this a year or two ago when I boughy an SP5 and everything they had in stock, for SP5's, had SP53 sheaths. I also bought an RTAK II at that time and that sheath is a much, much better fit, so I ordered kydex for the RTAK II and the SP5 now sits in the RTAK II sheath.

I assume this was a bad call on a cost saving measure to either use of some sheaths or to consolidate part numbers internally. What baffles me is they theu could used the same sheath for the SP5 and RTAK II and been fine, but the SP53 isn't even close to the SP5.

I wish they would make a sheath closer in size and shape to the cardboard sleeve that the blade is housed in when shipped. How cool would that be? That damn SP53 sheath looks like a freakin' loaf of french bread hanging down your leg!

Just checked my third SP5, box date SEPT '22, and it has the SP53 sheath too. When I contact Ontario I'm going to ask if they could replace/exchange these sheaths for the RTAKll sheath mentioned by bikerector.

This is common, unfortunately. I contacted knifecenter about this a year or two ago when I boughy an SP5 and everything they had in stock, for SP5's, had SP53 sheaths. I also bought an RTAK II at that time and that sheath is a much, much better fit, so I ordered kydex for the RTAK II and the SP5 now sits in the RTAK II sheath.

I assume this was a bad call on a cost saving measure to either use of some sheaths or to consolidate part numbers internally. What baffles me is they theu could used the same sheath for the SP5 and RTAK II and been fine, but the SP53 isn't even close to the SP5.

SP10 is a bigger knife than SP5, by all means. But check the paper box of my SP5: a way larger paper box (than the box of SP10), fitting the sheath of SP53.

bigger paper box, bigger sheath, higher cost by nature. Unless, too many dead WIP packing inventory sitting there for ages.

Given all the speculations, I do expect a satisfactory solution from OKC.

I now locate in Shanghai, China, you wouldn't believe how much more premium I have to pay to purchase blades from the States. But I am still a loyal & happy OKC customer: SP8, RAT7, now SP5 & SP10 at one stoke.

Last edited:
SP10 is a bigger knife than SP5, by all means. But check the paper box of my SP5: a way larger paper box (than the box of SP10), fitting the sheath of SP53.

bigger paper box, bigger sheath, higher cost by nature. Unless, too many dead WIP packing inventory sitting there for ages.

Given all the speculations, I do expect a satisfactory solution from OKC.

I now locate in Shanghai, China, you wouldn't believe how much more premium I have to pay to purchase blades from the States. But I am still a loyal & happy OKC customer: SP8, RAT7, now SP5 & SP10 at one stoke.

And that just makes it more confusing why they would spec the sp53 sheath with it. And I do think it was an intentional thing or it wouldn't have been so widespread. Not sure who's intention it was, but somebody made the decison to run with it that way.

And that just makes it more confusing why they would spec the sp53 sheath with it. And I do think it was an intentional thing or it wouldn't have been so widespread. Not sure who's intention it was, but somebody made the decison to run with it that way.
But wouldn't it make more sense to go with the better fitting RTAKII sheath as you suggested?

rtk00914_1024x1024.png

Gentlemen- I contacted Ontario about the sheath confusion and they responded that back in 2016 Ontario redesigned all their sheaths and there was one sheath designed for both the SP-5 and the SP-53. So both of these knives have shared a sheath for the last seven years.

Gentlemen- I contacted Ontario about the sheath confusion and they responded that back in 2016 Ontario redesigned all their sheaths and there was one sheath designed for both the SP-5 and the SP-53. So both of these knives have shared a sheath for the last seven years.
Would it be possible to trade/exchange these sheaths for the better fitting RTAKll sheaths?

Thank you Dan.

I found an OKC sheath for SP5 on KnifeCenter. So, this sheath is literally also a sheath SP53? There is never a sheath for SP5? Could you confirm on that, so I don't need to put down this order.

ON40203330: SP5 Nylon Sheath​

Ontario Knife Company​

The black nylon sheath is made for the SP5 fixed blade.

UPC Code: 03024550​

Back