Strength/Durability Of BM Balisongs?

K Williams

Gold Member
Do the stainless steel handled Benchmade balisongs develop any play in them after many openings? Do the pins ever work loose like in the cheap balisongs. Do you all think the titanium handled Balisong will be stronger than the old stainless models?

And while I'm asking questions, do you know if Benchmande will be producing cheaper models with different materials and designs?

Thanks!

------------------
K. Williams
kel620@aol.com
Modern Arnis Student

[This message has been edited by K Williams (edited 03-09-2000).]

~ Do the stainless steel handled Benchmade balisongs develop any play in them after many openings?

<<<< Yes, it's the nature of the beast, so to speak. I don't think there are any that don't have that problem sooner or later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Do the pins ever work loose like in the cheap balisongs?

<<<<< I've heard very few horror stories concerning BM's pins. You have to consider all the stress these pins absorb. BM's are definitly among the best you'll find.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Do you all think the titanium handled Balisong will be stronger than the old stainless models?

<<<<<<< I'm sure they'll be about the same strength wise. But they'll be lighter, and probably resist scratching better.

~~~~~~~~~~~
~ And while I'm asking questions, do you know if Benchmande will be producing cheaper models with different materials and designs?

<<<<<< I can't help you with this one. I posted the same question on BM's forum, and as of yet, it has not gotten an official reply. I would certainly hope they will though.

------------------
Clay
www.balisongxtreme.com
Because......
getting 'em open
is half the fun!

You can't go wrong with BMs.. if they fail on you then it means you are probably liek Clay here sadomasochistic on his balisongs
wink.gif

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html
</A> If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

Eventually, the stress of hard use will catch up with any balisong. Benchmade's finest do loosen up with use. But, we're talking years and years of hard use. I have a BM45 that has been a favorite banger of mine for about four years now and it's only slightly loose. I am told that these knives can be tightened back up by very carefully clamping them in a large bench vise. I've never tried this and I am only reporting what I've heard, not suggesting it.

The pins on BM's better balisongs are installed with an exceptional process and when they do finally break, they can not be replaced as simply as those of cheaper knives.

The bottom line is that a BM balisong will last a really, really long time.

While I don't know BM's plans, I would be surprised if they're planning any new Bali-Song in the immediate future that is a substantial departure from the 42.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

Thanks for all the replies.

Chuck,

I just checked out the pictures at your site. Once again, I'm kicking myself for never buying a Benchmade balisong when they were sold in the '80s and '90s. I don't know what I was thinking...

[This message has been edited by K Williams (edited 03-09-2000).]

When I finally get my BM 42, I won't use it that much as to wear it out. I'll use my Jaguars for practice and play. Just take out the BM once a week to practice what I've already perfected.

They come with a sort of preset play in the handles, needed in order for them to work properly. I've heard of some knife makers that make the channel and blade fit TOO tight and they really take some getting use to and can be dangerous IMHO as the blade might bind up when manipulating the knife.

As noted above, of all the ones I've handled the Benchmade/Pacific Cutlerly ones are primo and work oh so well! Especially the Custom series line.

Sniperboy will soon have one of my collection in his grasp, a nicely ground drop point blade with a high hollow grind that allows the knife to also be brought into play for normal knife duties, as the grind allows it to slice cleaner and deeper.

I have one of the Scimitar bladed Customs with snakewood inserts, very sexy knife!

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

G2 LeatherWorks

Back