SURVIVE! Bushcraft Knife (GSO-4.5?)

Just curious why there isn't a stainless version being offered on these?

my memory may be incorrect, but I believe Guy said it had to do with how thin the blade geometry was and worrying that stainless wouldn't be able to hold up... Thats my understanding

I hear ya but I'm kinda surprised since Mora's in stainless do just fine in woodworking. Maybe the geometry on this model will be a lot thinner than most folks run Moras.

I know Moras are great knives and I think most people have a good idea what kind of work a Mora is designed for and what it can handle. With Guy's philosophy on knives, his super high expectations and definitely his company's guarantee, I'm sure he wants his 4.5 to be more bomb proof than a Mora.

Just curious why there isn't a stainless version being offered on these?

This blade has right around 10 degrees of included angle on the primary bevel, with a very thin cutting edge for easy slicing and a deep bite. Being such a thin blade overall, with a saber style grind and very thin cutting edge shoulder, I just thought it was best to stick with CPM-3V only. With a 4.5" blade, quite a bit of force can be leveraged on it and I imagine, even though it is a "bushcraft" design, that some people will do some light batoning work and rougher chores with it. My steel selection really just has to do with my personal expectations of the blade.

I really appreciate the explanation of the thought process.

I'm also wondering why not more of a deeper saber grind. Do you think it would comprise the integrity of the blade? Not to say it won't work spectacular just curious.

I'm also wondering why not more of a deeper saber grind. Do you think it would comprise the integrity of the blade? Not to say it won't work spectacular just curious.

Not to speak for the maker, but I imagine when the stock is that thin to begin with a saber grind will be thinner than a full flat grind on a blade of more common thickness. I like the design and can feel myself getting sucked in...

On a blade of this thickness, leaving a mid-height grind increases strength and reduces how much the blade is likely to flex in use.

Keep in mind that the primary grind is indicated as 10-inclusive which is normal for most of Guy's knives. A lot of Mora knives are closer to 20-inclusive (10-dps) and the Mora "heavy-duty" I have is 30-inclusive. So depending on how thin the blade of the 4.5 is behind the edge (with microbevel closer to 30-inclusive), the GSO may be thinner in much of the blade than even those Moras and certainly thinner than Guy's "heavier" knives including the Necker. But this in FFG would be a good step toward a line of kitchen-blades ;) Change the blade shape to a modified wharncliffe or sheepsfoot, and you've got your paring/utility knife right there! But be nice to it, 3V ain't indestructible :)

About ready to take the plunge on the order but can anyone give me a decent ballpark what the weight will be on this knife? Thanks!

Anyone know it's projected weight?

It depends on how close of a ball park you would need. Since the model hasn't gone into production yet, my guess is to get a decent weight you would need to plug the material densities into the solidworks model to output an overall weight. Considering how hard it would be to guess the material volume based on the photos, your best bet would be to shoot Survive! an e-mail and be patient (they only have one person to sift through all the e-mail traffic). Is there a max weight you were looking to avoid? It might be possible to at least exclude a potential deal breaker weight..

Have it shipped to your work. When wifey sees the knife for the first time and asks about it just say... This old thing? Got it a while ago.

Speaking from my own marriage experience and from that of watching my dad under the all knowing gaze of my mom, the spouses wise up quickly to the old line "I've had this thing for a long while..." ;)

Its good and bad my wife like the stuff I'm into. When I'm sharpening cleaning or just playing with my blades she don't mind helping. The bad is when I get a new one the "this ole' thing" don't work. I'll probably be getting a phone call any minute about the #12 I picked up last week. It should have rolled in while I was on the road.

lol i have used that one up hehe and then she will say let me use it to dig up these roots in the garden and then i am busted

Was hoping it stays under the 4-5 oz range being so thin.
It depends on how close of a ball park you would need. Since the model hasn't gone into production yet, my guess is to get a decent weight you would need to plug the material densities into the solidworks model to output an overall weight. Considering how hard it would be to guess the material volume based on the photos, your best bet would be to shoot Survive! an e-mail and be patient (they only have one person to sift through all the e-mail traffic). Is there a max weight you were looking to avoid? It might be possible to at least exclude a potential deal breaker weight..

Back