Survive kitchen knives

Who elso would be interested in a 8-9 inch survive chef knife in cpm 3v ?
I would certainly get one of those !

I'd get one too! Doesn't even have to be a dedicated "kitchen" knife, but a wharnie/santoku style bushcraft knife. :)

I'm sure 3V would be great, but it seems like a lot of custom kitchen knife makers use 52100 or AEB-L. I'm sure Chiral can chime in on the pros and cons of the steels. :)

With kitchen knives I'm not nearly as concerned about the alloy as I am with the design.
I own several custom kitchen knives and all I can tell about the steel used is if they take a patina in use. :)
I find that the differences in geometry are much more important than the alloy.
The two knives that I use most are a really large chef's knife that is ground very thin, and a large paring type knife that is ground even thinner.
I don't normally chop bones or cut frozen meat, but if you do a santoku style knife built like a field knife would work well.
So, if we are voting, I'd prefer a 10" to 12" chef knife, a 5" petty, and a 8" to 10" santoku built like a tank.
That would cover about 90% of my kitchen needs, and the maker can use any alloy that they think is appropriate.

8" S!antoku would be awesome, but I might personally prefer 20v. I'd like to not worry about rust at all for this.

8" S!antoku would be awesome, but I might personally prefer 20v. I'd like to not worry about rust at all for this.
I do not have any rust or patina on my 3V kitchen knives and all I do is wipe and rinse them and drop them in the knife block while still damp.

Haha, S!antoku is brilliant name! You're a genius!

Haha. Thanks. Free name donation if it helps get this off the ground.

I do not have any rust or patina on my 3V kitchen knives and all I do is wipe and rinse them and drop them in the knife block while still damp.

Yeah, I figured someone would say that, and I'm sure it's true, even truer with the latest heat treat for 3V. But 20V still has better corrosion resistance to my knowledge and would be my choice. I'd take either if it came down to it.

I know Guy has mentioned making kitchen knives in past posts, so this is something far closer to reality than many of our other "wish lists" however, I think with all "future" stuff patience is the key! That just gives us time to mull over all our desires!!! :) I would love to finally get a set of 3 high end kitchen knives, i can never make up my mind as to what i want and end up sticking with the tried and true amazon block. one of these days...

I love to cook and actually prepare 95% of the meals we eat so I'm in. I use a dedicated 5" s35v knife from another maker I won't mention and its been great but its also been chipping lately. Not ok for the $ I spent on that little bastard.

I don't have any kitchen knives in S35V but my kitchen knives have never lacked for wear resistance.
I could probably live with all my kitchen knives being made from CPM154.
I'm not sure that the higher vanadium alloys are of much benefit for slicing vegetables and meat.

I love to cook and actually prepare 95% of the meals we eat so I'm in. I use a dedicated 5" s35v knife from another maker I won't mention and its been great but its also been chipping lately. Not ok for the $ I spent on that little bastard.

Are you deboning cattle in your walk in? J/K how have you been able to chip the s35v?

Are you deboning cattle in your walk in? J/K how have you been able to chip the s35v?

Man I don't know how or why it's chipping. My guess is poor HT? Just doing normal prep...veggies, meats...no cattle or rough use. I won't buy another from this maker and am always open to others.

Man I don't know how or why it's chipping. My guess is poor HT? Just doing normal prep...veggies, meats...no cattle or rough use. I won't buy another from this maker and am always open to others.

HT would be my guess, have you mentioned to the maker or just cutting your losses?

It was $100 and over a year old. I'm just going to eat it cause like I said, it's my one good kitchen knife. I couldn't be without it.

Makes sense! I'd likely do the same thing. My kitchen knives are all sorts of pitted but I think the steel is listed as "stainless" haha nothing more specific...

I don't have any kitchen knives in S35V but my kitchen knives have never lacked for wear resistance.
I could probably live with all my kitchen knives being made from CPM154.
I'm not sure that the higher vanadium alloys are of much benefit for slicing vegetables and meat.

Just so we're clear, CPM-154 has ~17.5% carbide volume, S35VN has 14%, they aren't that far apart and CPM154 has the greater volume although its carbides are softer (not as wear-resistant).

I've been happy with simple kitchen stainless steels (420HC and 13C26 variety), but I'm not a professional chef, my wife rules the kitchen.

Back