T6

Michele, what differences are there (in terms of performances) between K490 and 3V in a knife like the T6 ??

K490 third generation pawder steel . 3V first generation.
K490 have some wear like a CPM m4. 3V less wear.
K490 hold high toughness at high hardness.
At 60 hrc K490 have similar toughness of 3v.

In my opinion K490 it's better.

K490 third generation pawder steel . 3V first generation.
K490 have some wear like a CPM m4. 3V less wear.
K490 hold high toughness at high hardness.
At 60 hrc K490 have similar toughness of 3v.

In my opinion K490 it's better.
Was your K490 coming out at 60 hrc? Whoever does your heat treat tends to be soft, leaving too much edge retention on the table…..especially the M390.

What exactly is the Old Black finish? PVD? Does it offer any additional corrosion resistance?

Last edited:
60 hrc. Secondary hardening. M390 is 60 too but K490 is a tool steel and M390 a stainless steel. Have different characteristics.

PVD with wasch. Offer additional corrosion resistance.
In my experience K490 have a good corrosion resistance to be a carbon steel. Similar to sleipner.

Hello, I have a question for someone who owns this knife. I have extra large hands, I need about 4 inches worth of grip area. Does the handle on the T6 work for big paws?

60 hrc. Secondary hardening. M390 is 60 too but K490 is a tool steel and M390 a stainless steel. Have different characteristics.

PVD with wasch. Offer additional corrosion resistance.
In my experience K490 have a good corrosion resistance to be a carbon steel. Similar to sleipner.
Michele, please, I have a question for you: what steel would you prefer between Sleipner and CPM 3V for a medium sized knife (M5 for instance ) and why?
Thank you.

3V PM steel have more quality than a conventional steel like Sleipner. More toughness. Sleipner hold the edge a little more.
For a knife like M5 both steel are fine. I like more PM steel for better overall quality.

Let me ask you this: on a Lionsteel M5 sized knife and despite they are part of different steel families (High carbon and stainless), which steel has better performances between CPM 3V and Magnacut?

Last edited:
Back