Tax Day Spyderco MAP Sale!!

The OpFocus deal of 50% off MSRP hasn’t changed seemingly forever while regular consumers who used to pay 45-50% off MSRP before MAP enforcement in 2016 keep getting screwed further and further to help Spyderco dealers!

— MAP 40% off MSRP JAN 2016
— MAP 35% off MSRP JAN 2018
— MAP 30% off MSRP JAN 2020
— MAP 25% off MSRP FEB 2024

I grabbed a salt stretch 2 xl serrated for what I felt was a good price. I've cut down my spending dramatically....so that's all I got and will get for awhile......

Yeah, I just received the same bad news from Spyderco today:

"Effective May 1, 2024, the OpFocus discount will be revised to 40% off the MSRP. Program participants will still be allowed to purchase up to 10 knives per calendar year at this discount; however, Sprint Run™ and Flash Batch™ knives will no longer be eligible. Purchases of byrd® brand knives will also be counted toward your 10-knife total."

So, I guess now's the time to consider buying those few knives I've been putting off buying under the OpFocus program.

However, with this change, I won't be able to buy that S90V CF Military 2 Sprint that I've been waiting for directly from Spyderco for anything off MSRP which, unless I can get it from a dealer for MAP, means that I probably won't buy it at all but it's not like I don't have enough Millies already.

LOL! ;)

---------------------------------

Update:

I just looked and there really aren't any other Spydies that I want to buy now.

What I noticed most was how many of the knives on the sit are listed as "out of stock." The only 2 that are NOT out of stock that I'd consider buying are the Karpara & SpyOpera but I've put off buying them for years because I really don't like them. So, I'm not going to buy them now.

Oh well . . . 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Yeah it's a bummer about the sprints and flash knives, as that's the only way I could justifiably obtain one. But I've been thinking a lot of the higher costs and price increases for others might be because of having to offset the opfocus program so I guess in a way it's a small win for those that could not be members.

Maybe the Tax Day Sale was to lessen the blow of the OpFocus discount and overall reduction of perks for members. Unfortunate news for those who are members.

Thank you to all for your service.

digicam dlc military 2 @$180 is really calling me, But the upcoming crucarta military 2 @$220 is making me hesitate. Or maybe Shall I plan to buy both?

Maybe the Tax Day Sale was to lessen the blow of the OpFocus discount and overall reduction of perks for members. Unfortunate news for those who are members.
Well, last night I was going to make a purchase before the discount lessened and now the Spyderco site charges an 11.2% sales tax rate for Arizona whereas before they did not collect tax. Is this the case for all states now, or do they now have a retail presence is Arizona? Regardless, after the $13 shipping charge it now costs the same amount just to buy from an online dealer, so the opfocus perk is basic gone.

Sad.☹️

I looked a couple days ago before the OpFocus discount dropped to 40% but there really wasn't anything that I wanted to buy.🤷

I'll check back in there in a day or so to see if they"re now charging CA sales tax too

Last edited:
So, I just logged in to Spyderco.com and I noted they are charging 7.25% CA sale tax but not my local rate of 8.75%.

However, I also noticed that they canceled my OpFocus membership too. WTF??? :mad:

I can easily "re-apply" via ID.me but with the reduction in the discount and the addition of the sales tax, I'm not going to bother.

At least not unless there's something that I want that I can only get direct from Spyderco for less but doesn't seem very likely at this time. 🤷‍♂️

Well, last night I was going to make a purchase before the discount lessened and now the Spyderco site charges an 11.2% sales tax rate for Arizona whereas before they did not collect tax. Is this the case for all states now, or do they now have a retail presence is Arizona? Regardless, after the $13 shipping charge it now costs the same amount just to buy from an online dealer, so the opfocus perk is basic gone.
It has been a federal law for a while now. Internet sellers are required to pay state sales tax for the shipping destination, whether they collect that tax from the customer or take it out of their own pocket. They are not required to pay local taxes, just state.

As for having your OpFocus membership cancelled, I had to re-register using ID me a couple of years ago to prevent that from happening to me.

They are not required to pay local taxes, just state.

Don't know if this is true or not but, if it is, I'm constantly being overcharged by Amazon, eBay and other online sellers, who always charge me 8.75% sales tax (which is my combined state & local sales tax rate). 🤷‍♂️

Back