The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

My experience with D2 is the Swamp Rat Vex. While I did not do comparative cutting tests I found its edge holding to be good on moose hide and meat. Though the edge was thick. I did do some batoning with it as well and found it to have enough ductility for my needs. Depending on handle design I would be very interested in a CPK D2 knife

Nathan,

If you are looking at 4V, are you also considering the current industry standard HT and perhaps doing some R&D?

The reason I ask, a while back I heard about the high HRC examples of 4V having great edge stability and wear resistance, and when I looked it up:

3Vvs4V.jpg

I've seen little rust spots under the handles on the 3V Field Knives, previous to the Delta protocol. D3V was kinda, as far away from a stainless I was willing to go based on my climate conditions.

Do you think there is any hope of getting 4V's corrosion resistance comparable to D3V? V over reduced Cr maybe?

I don't know even a small fraction of the amount you so I don't want to make any conclusions here.

Justin do you find the D3V more corrosion resistant than the old protocol? Any little spots on your new FK?

What sort of climate conditions do you usually face (if you don't mind me asking) that caused the little spots on your older 3v protocols

D3V is supposed to have more Cr free due to the low temp used during the HT not binding it up. However I do not know any hard numbers, so I have no idea what the threshold is for various climates. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, 0-40 miles from the Pacific Ocean 99.9% of the time.

I have not had D3V rust yet, but I have not had D3V nearly as long or used it nearly as much as 3V. I did have 2 knives done with the HT just prior to D3V rust, and I don't know the difference in the Cr between this protocol either.

Obviously the chart is of limited use for comparison sake if the HT can significantly alter the Cr to the point there is a noticeable difference in corrosion resistance, but maybe just a small change is all it takes. I do not know.

All my spotting is under the handles. On some of my older knives it was not a big deal as those handles came apart easy, so I could coat under there. On the CPK stuff, it's not a simple task to be done routinely.

That being said, I am particularly attention to detail oriented and the spotting under the handles was cosmetic at the point after about a year of not taking the handles off. So I am sure it was not a big deal. However, they did darken with age if not coated with oil. But if I just let it go and all of a sudden there is rust creeping out between the tang or pushing the handle scales off the tang making cracks between them or something I would blow a gasket for sure.

Hahaha good last point but hopefully/i am guessing it wouldn't come to that!
And thanks for the info.

I am also not sure about the Cr difference between the old and new HT protocol, however it must be a relatively significant difference worth mentioning as Nate pointed out that the new HT makes the 3V pretty close to stainless.

To be clear, the heat treat has no effect on the amount of chrome in the steel, it effects the free chrome, meaning that which is not tied up in carbides. The free chrome is effected by austenitizing temperature, quench rate and tempering temperature used. All the 3V I've done in the last few years has been a low temp tweak, meaning it doesn't use the secondary hardening hump. It has more free chrome than the industry standard and is nearly stainless. In theory the D3V might be a little more corrosion resistant than the previous low temp tweak, but it wouldn't be by much.

4V is less corrosion resistant than 3V.

Nate,

Has the idea of CPK wares been considered? Shirts, coffee mugs, stickers, hats, socks, banana slings, etc. I would totally rock these goods and represent CPK fandom to all that care to look. 👍

Nate,

Has the idea of CPK wares been considered? Shirts, coffee mugs, stickers, hats, socks, banana slings, etc. I would totally rock these goods and represent CPK fandom to all that care to look. ��

Yeah, at some point. Though I might need to work on a logo.

One more question my friend......would ya loan me a few hundred until my hunchback brother straightens up? ;)

I had a fresh idea regarding a logo just last night

I've got an excellent graphics guy if you guys are interested.

I've got an excellent graphics guy if you guys are interested.

that is quite an offer, dude! I'm loving the work your guy's been doing for you.

*shrug*

It's going smooth without drama. I haven't decided when to close it. Surely by the end of the year, but maybe by the end of next week. I really don't have any specific plans with that.

Ugh, so I guess I better go for two while I can ? Because it really looks like a great knife that I'll enjoy

It's closed. Watch for those Friday sales and keep an eye on the exchange!

He's already on the list and his turn should be coming up soon. What he's asking is interesting and it would be great if Nathan can address this Q, i.e, if people wjh0 are already on the list can increase their ordered quantities. Personally, I am not interested in doubling up but I will most like would like to forego the sheath and make the addentum to, "I will take mine W/O the sheath", pending Nathan's answer as to whether I can modify my preorder post closure (on the sheath issues). Thank you.

He's already on the list and his turn should be coming up soon. What he's asking is interesting and it would be great if Nathan can address this Q, i.e, if people wjh0 are already on the list can increase their ordered quantities. Personally, I am not interested in doubling up but I will most like would like to forego the sheath and make the addentum to, "I will take mine W/O the sheath", pending Nathan's answer as to whether I can modify my preorder post closure (on the sheath issues). Thank you.

I was interpreting closed as no more orders placed, as in no more knives could be allocated to the list but maybe I am way wrong.

I was interpreting closed as no more orders placed, as in no more knives could be allocated to the list but maybe I am way wrong.

On the Qty, I also interpret it in the same manner as you.

My Q was about altering the sepcs on an existing preorder because it will be timelined after the preorder has been closed.

It's closed. Watch for those Friday sales and keep an eye on the exchange!

Ugh ! But I'm on the list, and they have not gotten to me yet. So if I'm understanding correctly I can still edit my post and add one quickly ?

I've asked about ordering one without the sheath, the answer was no.

But for me I'll take the package cause probably give one to my Dad :)

Back