The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

It was not a process improvement to reduce cycle time or cost. It is an additional fixture and an additional operation and they are done one at a time.

The straight line segments on the block signature are a potential stress riser that do not need to be out in the blade. I see moving that block signature off of the blade and out into an unstressed area of the tang as an improvement.

I honestly was wondering if that was part of the reason, that's awesome. Lack of stress risers are part of why I like the bevel / ricasso transitions so much on your knives... anything else just looks wrong now.

It was not a process improvement to reduce cycle time or cost. It is an additional fixture and an additional operation and they are done one at a time.

The straight line segments on the block signature are a potential stress riser that do not need to be out in the blade. I see moving that block signature off of the blade and out into an unstressed area of the tang as an improvement.

Tell them about your laser eyes bro!!!!!

Hahahahaha

(And thank God you're more adult than me and your reasoning is fantastic.... once again reminding myself to never be in front of you on steps lol)

MV5BNTM0Mzc3NzAyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDUxMTU2._V1_.jpg

Hi Nathan, long time supporter of your blades, got the original shiv back in 2014 and many other of your blades over the years. I always wanted a skinner model for hunting. Do you have any plans to produce any more? Thanks

John

Yes, I will revisit a Skinner pattern

Hi Nathan,
I'm considering having a few of my knives blacked out by a local custom gun maker. He uses a PVD or DLC type process. This requires the knife to be heated to 400 degrees Celsius (752 Fahrenheit approx). Will this temperature adversely effect the temper or anything else about the knife? Also, would it effect the fasteners for the handle scales?
NB. I own knives from various makers so a general comment about the most commonly used knife steels would be super helpful too, eg. Nitro V, Elmax, CPM-S30V, M390, D2, AEB-L etc.

Thanks a bunch,
Lawrie

Hi Nathan,
I'm considering having a few of my knives blacked out by a local custom gun maker. He uses a PVD or DLC type process. This requires the knife to be heated to 400 degrees Celsius (752 Fahrenheit approx). Will this temperature adversely effect the temper or anything else about the knife? Also, would it effect the fasteners for the handle scales?
NB. I own knives from various makers so a general comment about the most commonly used knife steels would be super helpful too, eg. Nitro V, Elmax, CPM-S30V, M390, D2, AEB-L etc.

Thanks a bunch,
Lawrie
My recollection is that that temp could absolutely affect D3V, based on comments on this forum. I think the line is closer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Just trying to help, but don't take my word for it.

#notnathan

Hi Nathan,

Thanks a bunch,
Lawrie

That would destroy the temper of Delta 3V.

Hi Nathan,

Thanks a bunch,
Lawrie
Even if the blade could take it (which it can't, per Nathan), I would absolutely take the scales off before subjecting the steel to any kind of "treatment".

Back