The Basic 5" Field Knife - Thoughts and Impressions

Basic...then:
25806625-1969-amc-rambler-s.jpg

Basic...now:
FERRARI_Portofino-M-2020_main.jpg

How're you gonna keep 'em down on the farm, after they've seen Paree...?

Finally got out of the city and in to the woods. The BFK was impressive! It handled very well in the basic camp chores...prep-cooking, light batoning, etc. I took my first stab (no pun intended 😅) at carving a spoon. After the two days of camping and couple of hours of whittling on a piece of cedar, the BFK could still slice paper! Super impressive CPK Crew!!! Goot job! :)
View attachment 1666404
View attachment 1666403

Finally got out of the city and in to the woods. The BFK was impressive! It handled very well in the basic camp chores...prep-cooking, light batoning, etc. I took my first stab (no pun intended 😅) at carving a spoon. After the two days of camping and couple of hours of whittling on a piece of cedar, the BFK could still slice paper! Super impressive CPK Crew!!! Goot job! :)
View attachment 1666404
View attachment 1666403
That looks like a nice getaway.
Northern New Mexico?

The knife rose to be my no 1 most comfortable camping knife.

Here is the knife side by side with the kephart. I was liking the simplicity of the kephart, been using it for almost a full month before the BFK came.

I think I wasn't supposed to snag one. The sale post was from a month ago I think. I slept. 3 pm eastern time is 4 AM where I live. I put my bid by 05.30 or so. Hours later Jo responded to my email and I received the knife last week.

I did only testing the knife just for making fires for my coffee. No time to go camp yet.

Was very pleased at how comfortable this knife is! No hotspots at my hand at all. In the past 10 years or so I indulged myself in quality knives, this is my best one yet. Or maybe on par with my Spydie Moran that is also my favorite knife.

Last edited:
I’ve had my BFK a few weeks and been able to use it a little.
It is spectacularly awesome. FK2 is a better slicer but the BFK is a great camp/field knife. Love the length. The handle is, of course, super comfy. I do miss the thumb ramp jimping. Probably more because it exists on the FK2- muscle memory type thing. I doubt I’d miss it if this was my only CPK. The scale texture on the BFK is really nice and grippy. Overall, at this price it’s a steal. I wasn’t even going to get one due to similarities to the FK2. Glad I changed my mind.
Great knife!
Thanks CPK!

^ to the artist formerly known as O'Doggie6969!

I have had mine for a while too but I'm gonna go in an unconventional way with this one, i.e, it shall remain unopened for an eternity. Unlike all the previous 50-60-70+ or whatever which I had opened in the past and did farg all with, I have decided to leave tis be in its airtight box as packed by the talented hands of The Momma NinJo as shipped from the Mothership. If I should still be around in 10 years, this one will be a very quaint and eccentric conversation piece.

ETA: the idea onto itself is a not a novel one as there was one HDFK which was apparently unopened till it got re-sold to TR but maybe I can break that record is what I'm gonna go with!

Back