The Basic 5" Field Knife - Thoughts and Impressions

I dunno. There’s two of em now. I messaged both to see if they’d be receptive to a reasonable price. They weren’t lol
They're multiplying! That's pretty crazy. The BFK isn't even out of production.

I have to admit, I'm feeling a little FOMO since ib didn't get the hollow grind on my BFK (cw). I think I think I probably made the right choice for what my uses are though.

Anyone donee anything "rough" with their hollow ground CPK?

Thanks for saying that :)

The basic 5" field knife appeals to my sense of taste the most.

Die Cervelat der Carother Leistungs Messer 🤣

BFK-M.jpg

Just kidding, I like it too.

EDC 1.1? I’m sorta new here and lickin my chops for a EDC. Anywhere I can read about such?
BTW, hope you’re having a great time on vacation. Ocean looked relaxing

Always can start with the CPK Encyclopedia, then branch out using the search function and EDC 1 & This Forum.

CPK Encyclopedia for EDC 1

Any good instructions on how to do that correctly? Thank you
I like using the diamond abrasive files on mcmaster dot com. Just clamp one end of your knife in a vise, then clamp a piece of straight angle iron on the other end. The angle iron will act as a stop line for where you're filing, the vise will hold the knife and act as a stop line on the opposite end.
Then, you just file in your 90° spine. Afterwards, you'll need to sand the area you filed to your desired finish (I do it by hand).
You'll want to be aware that the portion you have filed and sanded will be finished differently than the rest of the knife. I believe CPK knives typically come with a blasted finish (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). It's an even gray finish over the entire knife. After sanding and filing, the area will be much shinier.
You can leave it that way, it won't hurt anything, but it won't look great. I recommend sanding the entire knife to a satin finish (plenty of youtube how to videos).

If you like the way that looks you can leave it or you can do a quick acid wash to achieve whatever level of dark gray you want.

I like using the diamond abrasive files on mcmaster dot com. Just clamp one end of your knife in a vise, then clamp a piece of straight angle iron on the other end. The angle iron will act as a stop line for where you're filing, the vise will hold the knife and act as a stop line on the opposite end.
Then, you just file in your 90° spine. Afterwards, you'll need to sand the area you filed to your desired finish (I do it by hand).
You'll want to be aware that the portion you have filed and sanded will be finished differently than the rest of the knife. I believe CPK knives typically come with a blasted finish (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). It's an even gray finish over the entire knife. After sanding and filing, the area will be much shinier.
You can leave it that way, it won't hurt anything, but it won't look great. I recommend sanding the entire knife to a satin finish (plenty of youtube how to videos).

If you like the way that looks you can leave it or you can do a quick acid wash to achieve whatever level of dark gray you want.

We don't use a blasted finish. The problem with a blasted finish is it tends to pick up little scratches pretty bad. We use a tumbled finish, which is really just millions of random small scratches. It has better corrosion resistance than a blasted finish and it also holds up to use pretty well.

Back